Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Chad La Joie <la...@georgetown.edu> on 2005/10/20 16:54:52 UTC

Odd behavior with adoptNode in 2.7.1

Hey guys,
   I'm seeing some behavior that might be a bug, or maybe it's supposed
to work this way and I just don't get it.  When the defer node expansion
feature is turned on calls to Document.adoptNode(Node) fail with the
exception listed below.  It would appear that adoptNode is performing
the node expansion that it needs in order to do the adoption.  The
behavior that I expected was that it would.  Is this a bug, or is the
software working as design, just not as I expected?

java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.dom.DocumentImpl
         at
org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredAttrNSImpl.synchronizeChildren(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.xerces.dom.AttrImpl.setOwnerDocument(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.xerces.dom.NamedNodeMapImpl.setOwnerDocument(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.xerces.dom.ElementImpl.setOwnerDocument(Unknown
Source)
         at org.apache.xerces.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.adoptNode(Unknown Source)
--
Chad La Joie             315Q St. Mary's Hall
OIS-Middleware           202.687.0124

Re: Odd behavior with adoptNode in 2.7.1

Posted by Chad La Joie <la...@georgetown.edu>.
Will do, and yes you are correct.  I was trying to adopt a deferred node
into a non-deferred Document.  I'll see if I can't come up with a much
more simplified test case than our code.  ;)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Chad,

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Chad La Joie <la...@georgetown.edu> wrote on 10/20/2005 12:09:42 PM:

> There we go.  Bug and test case are filed.
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1106
>
> Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> > Hi Chad,
> >
> > Looks like you're trying to adopt a node from a deferred DOM to a
> > non-deferred DOM. That should work so I'm pretty sure this is a bug.
Could
> > you please open a bug report here [1]. Some test code which reproduces

> > this condition would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > [1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ
> >
> > Chad La Joie <la...@georgetown.edu> wrote on 10/20/2005 10:54:52 AM:
> >

> >>Hey guys,
> >>   I'm seeing some behavior that might be a bug, or maybe it's
supposed
> >>to work this way and I just don't get it.  When the defer node
expansion

> >>feature is turned on calls to Document.adoptNode(Node) fail with the
> >>exception listed below.  It would appear that adoptNode is performing
> >>the node expansion that it needs in order to do the adoption.  The
> >>behavior that I expected was that it would.  Is this a bug, or is the
> >>software working as design, just not as I expected?
> >>

> >>java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.dom.DocumentImpl
> >>         at
> >>org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredAttrNSImpl.synchronizeChildren(Unknown
> >
> > Source)
> >
> >>         at org.apache.xerces.dom.AttrImpl.setOwnerDocument(Unknown
> >
> > Source)
> >
> >>         at
> >>org.apache.xerces.dom.NamedNodeMapImpl.setOwnerDocument(Unknown
Source)
> >>         at org.apache.xerces.dom.ElementImpl.setOwnerDocument(Unknown

> >>Source)
> >>         at org.apache.xerces.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.adoptNode(Unknown
> >
> > Source)
> >
> >>--
> >>Chad La Joie             315Q St. Mary's Hall
> >>OIS-Middleware           202.687.0124

> > Michael Glavassevich
> > XML Parser Development
> > IBM Toronto Lab
> > E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
> > E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

> Chad La Joie             315Q St. Mary's Hall
> OIS-Middleware           202.687.0124

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: Odd behavior with adoptNode in 2.7.1

Posted by Chad La Joie <la...@georgetown.edu>.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Chad,

Looks like you're trying to adopt a node from a deferred DOM to a
non-deferred DOM. That should work so I'm pretty sure this is a bug. Could
you please open a bug report here [1]. Some test code which reproduces
this condition would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ

Chad La Joie <la...@georgetown.edu> wrote on 10/20/2005 10:54:52 AM:

> Hey guys,
>    I'm seeing some behavior that might be a bug, or maybe it's supposed
> to work this way and I just don't get it.  When the defer node expansion

> feature is turned on calls to Document.adoptNode(Node) fail with the
> exception listed below.  It would appear that adoptNode is performing
> the node expansion that it needs in order to do the adoption.  The
> behavior that I expected was that it would.  Is this a bug, or is the
> software working as design, just not as I expected?
>

> java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.dom.DocumentImpl
>          at
> org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredAttrNSImpl.synchronizeChildren(Unknown
Source)
>          at org.apache.xerces.dom.AttrImpl.setOwnerDocument(Unknown
Source)
>          at
> org.apache.xerces.dom.NamedNodeMapImpl.setOwnerDocument(Unknown Source)
>          at org.apache.xerces.dom.ElementImpl.setOwnerDocument(Unknown
> Source)
>          at org.apache.xerces.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.adoptNode(Unknown
Source)
> --
> Chad La Joie             315Q St. Mary's Hall
> OIS-Middleware           202.687.0124

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab