Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sanford Stein <Sa...@cybertools.biz> on 2011/02/02 18:28:52 UTC

Cannot connect to tomcat 5.5.23 on RedHat Linux

After updating to Red Hat's latest version of tomcat 5, I am unable to
connect to tomcat after stopping and restarting it.

The message in catalina.out from the shutdown is:
    at gnu.java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(libgcj.so.7rh)

I can then restart tomcat5 without error, but when I try
http://{server}:8080 I get in jk.log:
(ajp13) connecting to backend failed. Tomcat is probably not started or
is listening on the wrong port (errno=111)

I got this to work for a while by reverting to the older version of
tomcat5 (RHEL 5.5 instead of RHEL 5.6).
But after a system reboot that no longer works.

I believe that tomcat failed to connect to the shutdown port 8005 and
the environment somehow got corrupted.

I tried changing the shutdown port in server.xml to 9005 -- no luck.

Any insight in to what I can do here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sanford Stein
CyberTools Inc.

CyberTools Logo <http://CyberTools.biz> 	*Sanford Stein *| *CyberTools,
Inc.*
75 Arlington Street, Suite 500, Boston MA 02116  | 800.894.9206 x
103 | F 888.899.0346
Sanford.Stein@CyberTools.biz <ma...@CyberTools.biz> |
CyberTools.biz <http://CyberTools.biz> | Build-It-Once Development

Re: Cannot connect to tomcat 5.5.23 on RedHat Linux

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/2/2 Sanford Stein <Sa...@cybertools.biz>

> After updating to Red Hat's latest version of tomcat 5

What version (x.y.z) of Tomcat is that?

>    at gnu.java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(libgcj.so.7rh)

GNU's Java isn't usable. Throw it away.
You may search the list archives for "libgcj"

RE: Cannot connect to tomcat 5.5.23 on RedHat Linux

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Sanford Stein [mailto:Sanford.Stein@cybertools.biz]
> Subject: Cannot connect to tomcat 5.5.23 on RedHat Linux

> After updating to Red Hat's latest version of tomcat 5

Unfortunate that you're not using a real Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org.

>   at gnu.java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(libgcj.so.7rh)

There's a major problem: throw away gcj and install a real JVM.  You will be unable to get any reliable operation otherwise, even though some things appear to work.

 - Chuck