Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com> on 2012/03/01 11:39:22 UTC

Framework refactor (was: Definitively remove beanshell from OFBiz)

I included currency in the framework because i18n libraries the
framework is based on will include it.

A "framework for ERP applications" would be built on the framework I
proposed - I mentioned that in the document. In my mind, things should
be modular, instead of the monolithic design we have now. So, geos would
be a separate component that uses the framework - just like scripting is
a separate component. The framework plus a selection of additional
components could comprise a "framework for ERP applications." I believe
this approach will broaden the user base because we will eliminate the
"all or nothing" approach used now.

I understand the workflow you are suggesting - cut down the size of the
existing framework and then switch to something else. In an ideal world
we could do that. Unfortunately, we have a lot of committers who believe
more is better, so while we're cutting down in one area, someone else
will be adding code in another area.

The workflow I pictured was to introduce a new component and build from
the ground up. Initially there will be some code duplication due to
parallel development paths, but once the new component is finished,
other OFBiz artifacts can be updated to use it and any excess can be
removed. In other words, the code removal is motivated by the fact that
it is no longer needed.

-Adrian

On 3/1/2012 10:15 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> [...]
> I also think that the "official OFBiz ERP" (i.e. the features currently in the "applications" folder) should also be implemented by *one* application/component: based on naming conventions and patterns to simplify customizations and reuse but still one application where features are hidden thru permissions.
>
> But this is for OFBiz 2.0, nice to discuss, but my idea for a lightweight framework was less revolutionary and could be considered as a preparation step in the direction of the new OFBiz: cutting down old branches and unused code in order to have a smaller system to refactor according to the new vision. At that point, with a cleaner ground, we could better plan the next step: implementing a new framework or considering other options (e.g. Moqui) or even keeping what we have
>
> Jacopo
>

> On Mar 1, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, most scripting engines have some sort of embedded cache. The problem will be that we can't clear the embedded cache like we can with our own cache implementation. I don't see that as a show stopper - it's mostly inconvenient.
>>
>> I can help out with the conversion. I don't think the task will be that hard.
>>
>> Regarding a slimmed down framework, I proposed one some time ago:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Another+Framework+Vision
>>
>> and that document was in response to David's proposal to base OFBiz on Moqui (another option).
>>
>> -Adrian
>>

>> On 3/1/2012 8:53 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>> Implementing JSR-223 should be rather easy but if I am not wrong it would prevent the ability to cache the scripts (task that is currently done in org.ofbiz.base.util.GroovyUtil, that is using the the more flexible GroovyClassLoader mechanism); we could probably use the javax.script.Compilable interface but I am not sure...
>>> One advantage of JSR-223 would be that we could dynamically select the script engine based on the (for example) file extension without the need to maintain several classes like GroovyUtil, BsfUtil etc...
>>> The idea would be that, instead of having a GroovyUtil class we could have a generic ScriptUtil class with code like the following:
>>>
>>>          ScriptEngineManager manager = new ScriptEngineManager();
>>>          ScriptEngine scriptEngine = manager.getEngineByExtension(fileExtension);
>>>          Object result = scriptEngine.eval(scriptFileReader, scriptContext);
>>>
>>> and this code would be generic and could be used to plug in all the scripting engines that support JSR-223.
>>>
>>> However doing this in OFBiz would mean that we have to refactor all the code that is currently using the various<script>Util classes and in my opinion a simpler path (that is inline with Erwan's proposal to convert all remaining beanshell snippets to Groovy and then deprecate or remove BshUtil) would be:
>>>
>>> 1) migrate the remaining Beanshell snippets to Groovy
>>> 2) deprecate or remove (I see a lot of value in having lighter framework [*]) Beashell support (and other artifacts related to old/unused script engines)

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Jacopo,

no reply needed Jacopo......My statement just was that you consider
forking of moqui as a first option what i think is rather strange....

Regards,
Hans

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Yes, I know what I wrote.

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Jacopo,

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Jacopo,
I would go, or at least, deeply consider option:

3.a) we base the Apache OFBiz ERP on a release of Moqui: this will only be
possible if Moqui release will have all the features we need (and if Moqui
community will be interested in getting contribution to evolve in the
direction required by OFBzi)

I think that David will be more than interested in evaluating every feature
needed by OFBiz.
He has already started the mantle and crust projects that, on top of the
Moqui framework, should be something like a reworked OFBiz.

-Bruno

Re: Framework refactor (Moqui-/Mantle-specific)

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
NOTE: replying to this in multiple messages for better digestibility. :)

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> Thank you David,
>
> please see inline:
>
> On Mar 15, 2012, at 6:08 AM, David E Jones wrote:
>
>> I think the Moqui Framework is already to a point where migration
>> of OFBiz business-level artifacts could begin immediately.
>
> Of course I would be happy to see (and help with) an effort to create
> a relatively complex proof of concepts for the migration. Then we
> will have a better ground to evaluate pros and cons of the two
> frameworks.

There is an example application in Moqui that is similar to the one in
OFBiz, though focusing on the main screens and not including all of the
JS and other feature demo screens.

The online demo (running on Amazon Elastic Beanstalk) is here:

http://demo.moqui.org/apps/example/Example

The source code can be viewed through GitHub here:

https://github.com/jonesde/moqui/tree/master/runtime/component/example

-David

Re: Framework refactor (Moqui-/Mantle-specific)

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
The mini-lang overhaul only effects the grammar, not the performance. No
one can comment on the framework performance until a decision is made
about the direction it will take.

-Adrian

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
On 3/15/2012 9:20 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2012, at 9:46 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> Adrian, it was a joke not real criticism on you.
> And to be very clear: I appreciate all the work you did to add support to JSR-223

We're cool. ;-)

-Adrian

Re: Framework refactor (Moqui-/Mantle-specific)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 15, 2012, at 9:38 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> On 3/15/2012 7:57 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> Not only this; well, yes it is simply this at the technical level but it is much much more in the end result and approach: in fact in my poc I have laid out some simple but very effective best practices for programming services and events: the code I added is minimal (a few lines... that after Adrian's refactoring became 10 times more... but the OFBiz community likes heavy stuff :-) )
>
> The refactoring might have added a few lines to the Groovy implementation, but it also eliminates the need for these classes:
>
> BshUtil.java
> GroovyUtil.java
> BeanShellEngine.java
> BSFEngine.java
> GroovyEngine.java
> BsfEventHandler.java
> GroovyEventHandler.java
>
> and when mini-language implements JSR-223, these classes will not be needed:
>
> SimpleEventHandler.java
> SimpleServiceEngine.java
>
> The refactoring also adds support for many more scripting languages.
>
> So, I'm having a hard time understanding how the elimination of nine classes (1100 lines of code) while adding support for more scripting languages can be considered "heavy stuff."

Adrian, it was a joke not real criticism on you.
However I was not talking about the JSR-223 work in general but about the conversion of the specific DSL language class into the helper/factory pattern; that added a lot of code to a poc class that was intended to enhance Groovy for OFBiz. But you are right, in *theory* 100 different languages could use the new helper classes now and at that point the overhead would make a lot of sense: but we will never really know if they will be used out of OFBiz.

Jacopo

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> Doing a migration like this would bring up other issues...
>> including whether or not to clean up the data model and services
>> while at it, especially rewriting messier parts of OFBiz like the
>> ShoppingCart* objects and order processing stuff in general.
>>

> It will be very difficult to rewrite existing stuff, and doing this
> before or after the migration wouldn't change its complexity. For
> this reason I think we can keep this topic out of this thread for
> now. However, instead of rewriting, we could clean up what we have in
> OFBiz before the migration... especially if this could simplify the
> migration or make the existing code better organized. For example, in
> another thread I was proposing to merge the existing application
> components into one, with possibly one webapp and less (and more
> consolidated) files: this may seem a huge effort but it may not be,
> because it could be done in baby steps with a lot of string
> replacements, moving/renaming files around etc... we could even
> create some scripts to simplify the effort. But again, also this
> could be done before/after the migration (or never).

Some of it could certainly be improved with a rewrite, or perhaps more
of a serious refactor. For example, using the database for shopping cart
data instead of an object in the session would be far more flexible for
a variety of order processing apps, especially outside of the normal
ecommerce submit-all-at-once flow.

But yes, this introduces another whole big set of issues and
discussions. Actually, frankly I'm surprised there is consideration of
any major framework changes, let alone moving to a new framework,
because so much effort is required to update or migrate all of the
existing business artifacts. That has killed a lot of framework
enhancement efforts over the years.

The main trick I'd see with combining webapps in the current
ofbiz/applications components is the request-map uri and view-map name
namespaces, ie the issue with duplicate names pointing to different
events and screens and such.

In Moqui these controller files would go away and the request-map and
view-map data goes into the screen definitions, but I can't think of any
changes that could be made now and supported by OFBiz to help move
toward this.

>> If you want to stick with everything as-is and just do a migration,
>> that should actually be much less work than you might think. I have
>> some FTL templates to transform entity and service definitions, and
>> a partial template for simple-methods. Similar templates could be
>> made for screens and forms, though they are more complicated and
>> may require more manual work. Things like groovy scripts and Java
>> classes will also require a bit more work, but many patterns are
>> similar so it would be much less work than moving to an
>> object-relational sort of framework (ie Hibernate/JPA type of
>> thing).
>
> This doesn't help much to make me comfortable :-) David, it may help
> if you could list a series of tasks (if any) we could perform in one
> of the OFBiz application components to make it more ready to be
> migrated: the tasks should ideally be doable in steps, and after each
> step the component should be usable in the existing OFBiz framework;
> but the code should be more compliant with the future layout of Moqui
> (or with what the migration scripts will expect); for example we
> could: * merge/split service, entity, screen/forms definitions in
> one/more files * merge Groovy scripts into one file with several
> methods (one per data preparation script) * merge/split Java classes
> for services * merge/split xml files with services * etc. etc..

As for what can be done in advance to prepare for it, I don't think that
splitting or combining files is too big a deal because that can be done
by a tool more easily than by a human.

The main area where Moqui differs from OFBiz Framework in terms of
artifacts per file is the screens. In Moqui there is one screen per file
as opposed to multiple screens per file, and they are hierarchical as
opposed to flat (or more of a network for decoration/inclusion/etc).
This could be done manually, but it could also be done by a tool and
perhaps more easily.

-David

Re: Framework refactor (Moqui-/Mantle-specific)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Thank you David,

> [...]

David, it may help if you could list a series of tasks (if any) we could perform in one of the OFBiz application components to make it more ready to be migrated: the tasks should ideally be doable in steps, and after each step the component should be usable in the existing OFBiz framework; but the code should be more compliant with the future layout of Moqui (or with what the migration scripts will expect); for example we could:
* merge/split service, entity, screen/forms definitions in one/more files
* merge Groovy scripts into one file with several methods (one per data preparation script)
* merge/split Java classes for services
* merge/split xml files with services
* etc. etc..

> While on the topic, some notes about things I saw in some related threads:
>
> 1. the DSL/Helper class effort is in principle just an improved API for

Not only this; well, yes it is simply this at the technical level but it is much much more in the end result and approach: in fact in my poc I have laid out some simple but very effective best practices for programming services and events: the code I added is minimal (a few lines... that after Adrian's refactoring became 10 times more... but the OFBiz community likes heavy stuff :-) ) and in fact the building blocks of my work have been there since we introduced Groovy for scripts (to replace Beanshell); but since then no one really did this small step to enable Groovy (with a series of best practices and a small set of methods) to be used in a way that is perfect for OFBiz (and it was the reason that made Minilang such a productive tool).
I really think that the 50 lines of code I wrote, together with the best practices defined by the two examples I have provided (for error/event/message handling) would represent a huge step ahead if used extensively to create new code (or to convert old one).
But of course the same concepts can be easily applied to Moqui.

> the OFBiz framework tools were originally implemented
> independently, and based on a LOT of static methods and static
> initialization, resulting in an "API" that is made up of a bunch of
> independent objects that I've found are opaque even to developers with
> years of OFBiz experience (ie they are not aware of functionality
> because it is so hard to find); the Moqui API takes care of this problem
> with an API designed to actually be an API as opposed to a bunch of
> independent classes that evolved; for more info on that, see:
>
> http://www.moqui.org/apiJavadoc/index.html
>
> ... and the central object of the API (that also has contextual details
> for the current request/user/etc):
>
> http://www.moqui.org/apiJavadoc/org/moqui/context/ExecutionContext.html
>
> Here are some quick examples of how this looks in actual use (from the
> sendEmailTemplate.groovy script; sorry for the wrapping):
>
> def emailTemplate =
> ec.entity.makeFind("moqui.basic.email.EmailTemplate").condition("emailTemplateId",
> emailTemplateId).one()
>
> String bodyText =
> ec.screen.makeRender().rootScreen(emailTemplate.bodyScreenLocation).renderMode("text").render()
>
> Map cemParms = [sentDate:ec.user.nowTimestamp, subject:subject,
> body:bodyHtml, fromAddress:emailTemplate.fromAddress,
> toAddresses:toAddresses, ccAddresses:emailTemplate.ccAddresses,
> bccAddresses:emailTemplate.bccAddresses, contentType:"text/html",
> emailTemplateId:emailTemplateId,fromUserId:ec.user.userId]
> ec.service.sync().name("create",
> "moqui.basic.email.EmailMessage").parameters(cemParms).call()

The Moqui API is of course cleaner because it was implemented from scratch based on lesson learned so far in OFBiz, and this is a *great* reason for me to consider the migration to Moqui (another one is that you are the architect of Moqui).
However I would be really interested to see a service implementation in Moqui of one of the Java/Minilang services we have in OFBiz, like the poc I did to demonstrate my work on Groovy+DSL.

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by "shi.jinghai" <hu...@hotmail.com>.
+1 to 3.a).

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Hi Jacopo,

Interesting discussion :)

Like you said, the selected solution will have all the features we need.
At this time Apache OFBiz offering a great functional framework with
technical interface, this allows to functional developer to stay focused
on their needsand don't waste on technical problem. It's really
important to don't lose it.

My feedback between Neogia and OFBiz (since we have in the same case
that choice 3) and 4))

  * Fork : easier to improve the framework, but really difficult to back
improvements to original project. Many waste time to realize
improvement in parallel. I don't recommend it
  * Synchronize by repository : import a external framework release,
provides flexibility to update the external source and show own
improvement. But with time past, the differences grow, increasing the
synchro time and decreasing the back improvement quality. We stop this
solution there are two years.
   * At this time, with develop addon manager system to separate each
improvement on dedicate addon. This simplify the synchronization with
external source, keep back improvement quality. We lost in commit
celerit, it's a little more complicated to improve an addon than only
commit in a repository.

Whatever solution, I am available to help you.

Nicolas

Le 02/03/2012 09:28, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> [...]
> 4) if Moqui will not be a good option we may consider other frameworks (?), but it will be difficult, or continue with what we have

Nicolas MALIN
Consultant
Tél : 06.17.66.40.06
Site projet : http://www.neogia.org/
-------
Société LibrenBerry
Tél : 02.48.02.56.12
Site : http://www.librenberry.net/

Re: Framework refactor (Moqui-/Mantle-specific)

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
The only library that is not friendly right now is the Redstone XMLRPC
library, which is LGPL licensed. That could be replaced by the Apache
XML-RPC project. The only reasons I used Redstone are that it is much
smaller (library bloat is a real problem), and it is a bit easier to use.

There are a couple of libraries that use CDDL (winstone servlet
container) and EPL (Mylin WikiText), but they are in binary form only so
should be fine.

If there is enough interest I'd be happy to change Moqui to use Apache
XML-RPC instead of Redstone.

-David

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
David,

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
[...]

framework tools; the OFBiz framework tools were originally implemented

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
On 3/2/2012 8:28 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> In order of preference (descending), here are the options I see for the future of the OFBiz framework:
>
> 1) develop a great Apache OFBiz framework 2.0 within the OFBiz community; then release it separately from the Apache OFBiz ERP

This is the approach I prefer.

> 2) greatly clean up and improve the existing framework (I was not sure if this could go at #1)

I agree this is less preferable, but if we decide to go this route I
will help.

> 3) if the above will not be possible (frankly speaking, in the committers group, apart from David, none of us ever implemented with success an open source framework) we should also consider to drop the existing code and have our community focusing on the ERP part (as Hans seems to advocate); at this point Moqui would be the most natural choice; if we will ever go with this path a great exchange of information will have to happen between the two projects: for example OFBiz will probably have to ask the Moqui framework to evolve some of its features; given the current nature of the Moqui project, I doubt that the OFBiz committers will be ever invited as committers there; if Moqui will be our choice, I see two possibilities:

Some of us have implemented successful ERP frameworks, just not open
source ones. Also keep in mind that the OFBiz framework we have today
includes designs from many contributors. So, let's make sure we give
credit where credit is due, without diminishing David and Andrew's role.

-Adrian

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 2, 2012, at 7:50 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> Jacopo,
>
> You would even consider forking?

From Wikipedia [*]:

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Jacopo,

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Framework refactor

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Re: Framework refactor (was: Definitively remove beanshell from OFBiz)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.