Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Marcus Beyer <mb...@stormlight.de> on 2004/04/06 17:31:13 UTC

how to configure java.util.logging in Commons Logging

Hello Forum,

I am nearly happy with Commons Logging,
using log4j on the server (JBoss) and
java.util.logging on the client.

My problem: the default logger from
java.util.logging writes everything into
System.err, even "info" messages.
I would prefer to habe "info" messages on
System.out and "error" on System.err.
Can I somehow configure this in Commons
Logging? Can this be done easily?
I didn't find anything about it in the manual.

thanx!
Marcus

Re: how to configure java.util.logging in Commons Logging

Posted by "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>.
Marcus Beyer wrote:
> I am nearly happy with Commons Logging,
> using log4j on the server (JBoss) and
> java.util.logging on the client.
>
> My problem: the default logger from
> java.util.logging writes everything into
> System.err, even "info" messages.
> I would prefer to habe "info" messages on
> System.out and "error" on System.err.
> Can I somehow configure this in Commons
> Logging? Can this be done easily?
> I didn't find anything about it in the manual.

commons-logging doesn't do much configuration other than allowing you to
choose which logging implementation to use under the hood.  So, you'd
have to configure this at the java.util.logging level.

Most of my experience is with log4j, so I'm not sure how to accomplish
what you want.

Re: how to configure java.util.logging in Commons Logging

Posted by Marcus Beyer <mb...@stormlight.de>.
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Marcus Beyer wrote:
>
>> Hello Forum,
>>
>> I am nearly happy with Commons Logging,
>> using log4j on the server (JBoss) and
>> java.util.logging on the client.
>>
>> My problem: the default logger from
>> java.util.logging writes everything into
>> System.err, even "info" messages.
>> I would prefer to habe "info" messages on
>> System.out and "error" on System.err.
>> Can I somehow configure this in Commons
>> Logging? Can this be done easily?
>> I didn't find anything about it in the manual.
>

> JDK logging is configured in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext/logging.properties
>
> See
> <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/util/logging/index.html>
> for more info.

Thank you.

It seems, that the given Handlers can't be configured that way :(

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Marcus Beyer wrote:

> Hello Forum,
>
> I am nearly happy with Commons Logging,
> using log4j on the server (JBoss) and
> java.util.logging on the client.
>
> My problem: the default logger from
> java.util.logging writes everything into
> System.err, even "info" messages.
> I would prefer to habe "info" messages on
> System.out and "error" on System.err.
> Can I somehow configure this in Commons
> Logging? Can this be done easily?
> I didn't find anything about it in the manual.

JDK logging is configured in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext/logging.properties

See <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/util/logging/index.html>
for more info.

> thanx!
> Marcus