Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Andrea Spina <an...@radicalbit.io> on 2019/06/14 07:49:09 UTC

Flink sent/received bytes related metrics: how are they calculated?

Dear Community, I'd like to ask for some details about bytes related
metrics in Flink. Precisely, I'm looking at *bytes sent* and *bytes
received *metrics: what I am recording is the following:

I am reading from a Kafka topic *A* records with schema *K* using a source *Sin
*belonging to a pipeline *P1*. The topic *A* is filled with *K* data using
a separated pipeline *p2* and a sink *Sout*.

Basically what I register is that the *bytes sent* metric of *Sin* - available
through the Flink UI -measure twice or more respect of the *bytes received*
 of *Sout. *For instance, if my sink Sout records 10GB of *bytes received*
inbound, then my source Sin emits between 20-25GB *bytes sent*.

[image: Screenshot 2019-06-14 at 09.40.08.png]

Is someone able to detail how these two metrics are calculated?

Thank you,

--
*Andrea Spina*
Software Engineer @ Radicalbit Srl

Re: Flink sent/received bytes related metrics: how are they calculated?

Posted by Andrea Spina <an...@radicalbit.io>.
Hi Chesnay, just one downstream: Sin (Source: Enriched Code) outcome is the
right part of the following operator as in the figure; this operator is the
exclusive downstream of Sin.
Thanks,

[image: Screenshot 2019-06-14 at 13.52.52.png]

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Spina <an...@radicalbit.io>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.