Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by David Shanahan <da...@biosjp.com> on 2002/08/13 08:24:44 UTC

RE: pageEncoding for Shift_JIS doesn't work by using Apache Tomca t/4.1.8-LE-jdk14

I found that if you don't specify the language attribute then encoding seems
be ignored.

example:

<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS" pageEncoding="Shift_JIS"
%>

Does NOT work (UFT8 is assumed) but...

<%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS"
pageEncoding="Shift_JIS" %>

DOES work.

Posted by Osamu Hashimoto <os...@yha.att.ne.jp>.
Hello David.

Thank you for your consideration.

But on Tomcat 4.1.2 alpha -- the version can't be downloaded at this moment --
pageEncoding did work without other page directive elements.

I think it is degrating issue of Tomcat's developing and I want say to commiter
to fix the problem.

pageEncoding is assessment of JSP specification 1.2 and Tomcat shuold be
take a leaf of specification.

Is this "Tomcat Develepers List" is not suit for this kind of opinion???