Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Daan Hoogland <DH...@schubergphilis.com> on 2013/06/13 14:15:25 UTC

committer wanted for review

H,

Can someone look at Review Request #11861<https://reviews.apache.org/r/11861/> for me please?

Thanks,
Daan Hoogland

Re: committer wanted for review

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
On 2013/6/18 16:49 , John Burwell wrote:
> Second, please don't take my feedback as passing judgements such as things being ugly or
don't worry, I like the discussion and i don't mind losing an argument
if the best solution arises from it. Let's see about that.

--

<http://daan.sbpad6.nl/>

Re: committer wanted for review

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:09 AM, Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> I like your ground principles, I will keep looking a bit for a better spot
> to solve the problem.
>
> I am not sure your arguments about technical debt and user input validation
> apply in the situation at hand.
>
> A user will probably be just annoyed if we reject a valid posix path
> because it does not comply to unc or vice versa. So the policy of being
> strict on the output lenient on the input is maybe desirable.

As previous explained by Hiroaki, we have four issues around NFS path specifications.  The patch, as currently constituted address one of the issues while masking another.  Therefore, we are going to have to address this issue again in the future to address the other issues, and, likely, deal with the ramifications of having CloudStack incorrectly generating paths.  While ugly, the current code breaks -- giving us some trail to to the root cause of the problem.  With this fix, we are masking the issue of CloudStack code generating invalid paths.  Based on this understanding, I feel that we are expanding the technical debt around paths, not reducing it.

If I am understanding the UI flow correctly, we are talking about the path entered when creating secondary storage.  If so, the end user is a system administrator/operator who shouldn't find such a requirement onerous.  For input validation, we would need to add some on-line help pointing folks to the relevant RFCs explaining the format.

> A more pragmatic argument, which i make maybe without being hindered by
> deep knowledge of cloudstack code, is that a path may be constructed in a
> distributed way and the error may occur at several locations. The path my
> users found had two instances of double slashes. It is both cheap,
> maintainable and robust to solve it in one location. I do not pretend that
> I have found that location however.

The situation you describe seems to beg for a dedicated Path immutable value object with either static factory methods or an associated builder than understands the rules around concatenation.  The more I think about the invocation of the fixPath method is that are typically lack the context to understand intent.  Providing a value object and explicit creational mechanisms allows clients to express intent and for the Storage layer to establish a deterministic contact for clients.

> Then their is the question of whether this is an improvement or really only
> an ugly workaround. If you say yes to the latter, my submission should be
> refused altogether.
>
> Having made those arguments; The priority on has been lowered by my users
> so much more time to work on it is not available. It was fun so far and i
> will have another dive at the code to find a good spot to solve this
> particular problem.

First and foremost, I appreciate anyone who wants to roll up their sleeves and help improve CloudStack (particularly storage).  Second, please don't take my feedback as passing judgements such as things being ugly or pretty.  Instead, the review process has evolved our understanding of the problem to be larger than just Windows clients.  From my perspective, this work has expanded our understanding of the system and some lurking issues.  I do think we need to re-approach the fix in light of our deeper understanding.  That being said, I think a new approach would actually be less code ….

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
John,

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Daan,

Please see my comments in-line below.

Thanks,
-John

On Jun 17, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> If I understand it correctly, you are stating that my take on the solution
> is 'not done/not the way to go'?

> For the record the case I solved was an instance of A, but I would not call
> it adding technical debt. A arose from existing code in combination of a
> requirement to work with a non-posix-path compliant (but unc) nfs server.

From my perspective, it is technical debt because the solution, as implemented, is masking/compensating for underlying defects.  I think we should fix the underlying defects, input validation and value persistence, rather than trying to compensate for it in the storage layer.  We also likely need some type of utility/functionality to upgrade tools to identify invalid path data in existing installations for correction.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
John,

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
All,

Posted by Hiroaki KAWAI <ka...@stratosphere.co.jp>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
H John,

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Daan,

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
H John,

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Daan,

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Hiroaki,

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Hiroaki,

Posted by Hiroaki KAWAI <ka...@stratosphere.co.jp>.
I'd suggest:

Posted by Daan Hoogland <DH...@schubergphilis.com>.
Ilya,

Why do you ask? It only touches the database, not the nfs server itself!

Regards,
Daan Hoogland

Posted by Daan Hoogland <DH...@schubergphilis.com>.
It has been tested on nexenta (sunos). I have no linux on my hands for this.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Daan,