Posted to user@tika.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/20 11:15:53 UTC

Possible update to Tika Server Unpacker service

Hi All,

As you know Tika Server [1] has a number of JAX-RS endpoints, with
Unpacker service being one of them.

Unpacker resource has 2 methods, matching "/unpacker" and "/all" URI
segments with Unpacker itself having a default JAX-RS @Path("/")
annotation.

The problem here is that introducing new services having the same
default "/" root ((such as Welcome service)) adds some unpredictability
into the way Tika Server JAX-RS runtime finds the matching resource methods.

We expect that with the upgrade to CXF 3.0.0 (JAX-RS 2.0) this specific
resource matching issue will be gone, however the preferred solution is
to set a unique root Path for Unpacker service to optimize the way
different services are matched going forward. The suggested migration
path is:

"/unpacker" -> "/unpack"
"/all" -> "/unpack/all"

So if you used Unpacker and used URI "/unpacker" segments then after the
upgrade you'd do "/unpack" instead, and if you did "/all" then you'd do
"/unpack/all".

Do you have any concerns about it ? Only a minor migration effort will
be expected. Ideally we'd update Unpacker now before it has become more
widely used. We will probably go ahead with the update if no major
concerns are expressed

thanks
Sergey

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/tika/TikaJAXRS