Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com> on 2010/09/17 12:44:02 UTC

Shindig Roadmap 2.0.x and beyond.

Hi,

Now that we have a 2.0.0 release out I'd like to start a discussion on the
Shindig roadmap.

Here's my modest proposal

   - 1.0.x -- dormant, only release if major security issues unveiled
   - 1.1-BETA5-incubating -- orphaned.  No support
   - 2.0.x -- current stable release, binary compatible patches backported
   from trunk once per month.
   - 3.0.x -- current trunk, potentially unstable, basis for next major
   release where APIs break.

If warranted a 2.1.x version could also be made which only included new
non-breaking functionality.  I think this is a decent way to go without too
much process and will get us into a good rhythm.  What do you think?

I will also set up a monthly reminder email to insure that we get those
minor point releases done.

I'd also ask that people use Jira effectively by targeting the bug and/or
fix for the specific release.  This will allow people to quickly understand
what's going into specific releases.  You can see the Jira release roadmap
here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=12310741&subset=-1

Thanks!
Paul