Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/09/17 06:50:10 UTC

Re: /usr/local/apache

I have not had time to study any implementation of this, but if I
have not made myself clear on this in the past...

I agree with the idea of installing apache in a directory named
'apache'. I think that the macro PREFIX should default to a value
of '/usr/local' and should be easily overridden with
-DPREFIX="/foo/bar"

Marc's suggestion of an install-src target is also a good one.

It does seem to make sense that unpacking and building in the
destination directory would make it easier to fire up a
configuration server or something to test and configure the
installation.