Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Alex Colic <Al...@pop-ware.com> on 2002/01/25 22:14:31 UTC

Some suggestions for improvements to JMeter.

Hi,

I have been using JMeter for about 2 months now and I have a couple of
general comments on how it could be improved. Firstly, I appreciate all that
the JMeter team has done, so please consider the below constructive
suggestions:

1: I know we all hear this, improve the documentation. There is a lot of
scope for misinterpretation. I must have gone through the distributive
portion of the documentation a dozen times and I still can't get it to work
remotely.

2: Why is it using so much memory? I have a threadgroup that simulates 20
threads going through 5 pages. After about 5 minutes all my memory is maxed
out and the program stops and all I have is a java.lang,outofmemory
exception on the dos window. I have 256 meg of ram, is this not enough?

3: While the program is running I see a lot of exceptions being thrown in
the dos window. Most of them have to do with RegExp classes etc. While the
program seems to run, should I be worried? Maybe it would be better to hide
this from the user.

4: How do I simulate a lot of users? I tried using one test client but I
can't go higher than 30 thread or my machine runs out of memory? I tried the
distributive framework and I can't get that to work. If I could I probably
could not simulate more than 30 users. How about a set-up where you could
put clients on a number of machines that are controlled from one central
location, so that when you run a test at your desktop, simultaneously they
also run from these clients?

5: I know it has been mentioned before but the GUI could be improved. The
ability to move test elements around etc. Also, screen redraw seems to be
problematic. If I switch the look and feel to windows, and then click
through my test most stay with the default look and feel until I click them.

For the record my desktop is a PIII800, win 2000, 256 meg ram and jdk1.3.

Just some thoughts for your consideration.

Alex

Re: Some suggestions for improvements to JMeter.

Posted by "Dmitri G. Chtchekine" <dg...@emory.edu>.
You probably should bump up heap in your JVM, like in:
java -Xmx100M XXX.class or don't use memory-intensive
listener View Results.