Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Shushant Arora <sh...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/20 14:39:19 UTC

bug in hive

Hive version 0.9 and later has a bug

While inserting in a hive table Hive takes an exclusive lock. But if table
is partitioned , and insert is in dynamic partition , it will take shared
lock on table but if all partitions are static then hive takes exclusive
lock on partitions in which data is being inserted

and shared lock on table.

1.What if I want to take exclusive lock on table while inserting in dynamic
partition ?

I tried to take explicit lock using :

LOCK TABLE tablename EXCLUSIVE;

But it made table to be disabled.

I cannot even read from table anymore even is same session until I do

unlock table tablename in another session;

2. moreover whats lock level in hive , I mean any user can remove any other
users lock. that too seems buggy.

Thanks

Shushant

Re: bug in hive

Posted by Shushant Arora <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alan
1.When writer takes exclusive lock , hive won't allow to write anyone(even
the session which holds lock) to write in table.
Do I  need to pass lock handle to read query or I am missing here something.
2.Or you mean to insert using hadoop filesystem not using hive ?

Re: bug in hive

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
Shushant,

Re: bug in hive

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.
Shushant -

What I believe what Stephen is sarcastically trying to say is that some
organizational education may be in order here. Hive itself is not even at
version 1.0, those of us who use Hive in production know this, and have to
accept that there will be bugs like the one you are trying to address.
There MAY be a workaround, that takes more hours and introduces other bugs
into your environment, alternatively, taking the time to explain why moving
forward form Hive 0.10 to Hive 0.14 really is in the best interest of your
organization.  Perhaps there can be a way where you can do a proof of
concept using Hive 0.14, i.e. copy the metastore to another SQL server, and
try moving the data the table to another location so you can prove out the
fix of your issue. Also, perhaps there can be a way to test the current
workflows that work on 0.10 in 0.14 so you can show that this change really
is right way to move.

Being at this level in an open source project has  huge benefits, but
challenges as well. On one hand you can be much more nimble in your
environment because open source is fluid, but if you are trying to do this
within an environment that doesn't allow you to move like you need, it may
be losing a long term war while winning short term battles.  I guess, what
I am saying is the similar to Stephen, but I highly recommend you work with
team that sets the policy and develop a new way to address how Hive and
other similar projects live within your change management policies.  You
will benefit greatly in the long run.

John

Re: bug in hive

Posted by Shushant Arora <sh...@gmail.com>.