Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Di...@jrc.it on 1997/01/03 13:09:04 UTC

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "can't compile with mysql" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)

Well ( mSQL != mysql ) seems to be the summary.

Unless I am very mistaken, but mSQL and mysql are _very_ different
products; and mod_auth_msql does NOT work with mysql at all; as the
libary; see ftp://ftp.bond.edu.au/pub/Miberva/msql/... libmsql is
very specific to mSQL.

I am currently trying to get Oracle, sybase, msql and mysql into
one 'SQL' module; which little stub libraries into each of the
connecting API's of the vendor; but for now the legal-ese is still
baffling me. But this should surface soon. But until then; mysql does
not work with the msql lib/module.

Dw.

http://ewse.ceo.org                         http://enrm.ceo.org
DWvGulik@Dialis.xs4all.nl                  Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
+39 332 78 0014                                 +39 332 78 9549
                                            fax +39 332 78 9185

ISEI/ESBA;                     The Center For Earth Observation
Joint Research Centre of the European Communities, Ispra, Italy

On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> not acked.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from ariadne@lsi.usp.br -----

> From: ariadne@lsi.usp.br
> To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
> Date: Sun Dec 29 15:26:06 1996
> Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "can't compile with mysql" on Solaris 2.x
>
> Submitter: ariadne@lsi.usp.br
> Operating system: Solaris 2.x, version: 2.5
> Version of Apache Used: 1.2b3
> Extra Modules used: php
> URL exhibiting problem:
>
> Symptoms:
> --
>
> While compiling apache I get:
>
> gcc -c   -O2 -DSOLARIS2   mod_auth_msql.c
> gcc    -o httpd alloc.o http_main.o http_core.o http_config.o http_request.o htt
> p_log.o http_protocol.o rfc1413.o util.o util_script.o modules.o buff.o md5c.o u
> til_md5.o explain.o http_bprintf.o util_date.o mod_mime.o mod_access.o mod_auth.
> o mod_negotiation.o mod_include.o mod_dir.o mod_cgi.o mod_userdir.o mod_alias.o
> mod_env.o mod_php.o mod_asis.o mod_imap.o mod_actions.o mod_info.o mod_auth_msql
> .o  -L. -lphp   -L/usr/local/Minerva/lib -L/usr/local/mysql/lib -lmsql -lmysql -
> lmysys -lstrings  -lm -lsocket -lnsl
> read_client_block                   ./libphp.a(post.o)
> _db_enter_                          /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysql.a(libmysql.o)
> _no_db_                             /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysql.a(libmysql.o)
> pthread_getspecific                 /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysys.a(my_init.o)
> _db_push_                           /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysql.a(libmysql.o)
> _db_fp_                             /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysys.a(my_init.o)
> _db_dump_                           /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysql.a(libmysql.o)
> pthread_key_create                  /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysys.a(my_init.o)
> _db_on_                             /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysql.a(libmysql.o)
> pthread_setspecific                 /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysys.a(my_init.o)
> _db_return_                         /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysql.a(libmysql.o)
> _db_doprnt_                         /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysql.a(libmysql.o)
> _db_pargs_                          /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysql.a(libmysql.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to httpd
> make: *** [httpd] Error 1
> pave:rootac:/usr/local/temp/apache_1.2b3/src:50 #
>
> Thank you
> --
>
> Backtrace:

> ----- End of forwarded message from ariadne@lsi.usp.br -----
>
> --
> Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.    http://www.imdb.com/

mod_auth_sql/odbc

Posted by ra...@mail1.bellglobal.com.
> Yes; I looked at that some time ago; and was quite impressed; but I would
> like to get it a bit smaller/cleaner and auth oriented.

Of course.  A lean and mean mod_auth_sql module is definitely something
a lot of people would be interested in.  I brought up PHP as a source
of working code.  Skimming through msql.c, mysql.c, solid.c, pg95.c and
sybase.c in the PHP sources is a much quicker way of learning the basics
of the various RDBMS API's than trying to figure out each one from the
individual documentation, if you can find some.

> The other thing is that I am not too happy about the odbc front; the
> last time I looked was over a year ago; with a lot of buggy and leaking
> code. Perhaps things have improved. I'll give it a go this evening.

I agree, the ODBC front is not well-developed in the Unix world yet.
But there is a serious need for something like ODBC, and even though it
is actually a terrible "standard", it is the only one with any hope
at the moment.

Adam Sussman and I, mostly him, should have an ODBC level 1 compatible PHP
API available by the end of January.  A mod_auth_odbc should be trivial
to write based on that code once that is done.

-Rasmus

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "can't compile with mysql" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)

Posted by Di...@jrc.it.

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997 rasmus@mail1.bellglobal.com wrote:

> > I am currently trying to get Oracle, sybase, msql and mysql into
> > one 'SQL' module; which little stub libraries into each of the
> > connecting API's of the vendor; but for now the legal-ese is still
> > baffling me. But this should surface soon. But until then; mysql does
> > not work with the msql lib/module.
>
> You should probably have a look at PHP from http://www.vex.net/php/

> I am currently able to link Sybase, mSQL, mysql, Solid and Postgres95
> client libraries into Apache all at once, or separately.  Things are
> also progressing quickly on the odbc front.  This means that auth modules
> can be written extremely easily in PHP right now.  They can probably also
> be written rather easily in Perl.

Yes; I looked at that some time ago; and was quite impressed; but I would
like to get it a bit smaller/cleaner and auth oriented.

> I still think a single unified mod_auth_sql is a good idea, as well as a
> mod_auth_odbc.  You should be able to scam most of what you need to do this
> from the PHP sources.

Thanks; will look at that !

> Except for the Oracle part.  Oracle hurts my brain, and I hate
> pre-processors.

Well; this was indeed where I wanted to head to; with a unified
mod_auth_sql; but the Sybase and Oracle licencing terms kind of
stopped me. I pick this up once more and see how far I get.

The other thing is that I am not too happy about the odbc front; the
last time I looked was over a year ago; with a lot of buggy and leaking
code. Perhaps things have improved. I'll give it a go this evening.

Tha!

DW.

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "can't compile with mysql" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)

Posted by ra...@mail1.bellglobal.com.
> I am currently trying to get Oracle, sybase, msql and mysql into
> one 'SQL' module; which little stub libraries into each of the
> connecting API's of the vendor; but for now the legal-ese is still
> baffling me. But this should surface soon. But until then; mysql does
> not work with the msql lib/module.

You should probably have a look at PHP from http://www.vex.net/php/

I am currently able to link Sybase, mSQL, mysql, Solid and Postgres95
client libraries into Apache all at once, or separately.  Things are
also progressing quickly on the odbc front.  This means that auth modules
can be written extremely easily in PHP right now.  They can probably also
be written rather easily in Perl.

I still think a single unified mod_auth_sql is a good idea, as well as a
mod_auth_odbc.  You should be able to scam most of what you need to do this
from the PHP sources.  Except for the Oracle part.  Oracle hurts my brain,
and I hate pre-processors.

-Rasmus