Posted to doxia-dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2008/06/07 21:30:13 UTC

FYI

Hi,

Just letting folks know that I've taken what's in trunk and I've been
chopping it apart for a couple weeks:

- removing plexus as a requirement
- dumped the doxia-book module -- it doesn't belong in the core
- dumped the doxia-maven-plugin module -- it doesn't belong in the core
- dumped the doxia-logging-api -- I don't know who did this but it's
just a bad idea
- i combined the parser and sink apis. they are never used apart in
practice, the separate attempt failed inside maven

My ultimate goal is to extract the dependency on doxia out of Maven's
core. What's happened is a terrible coupling. The plugin manager is
bound to doxia because of reports which essentially look like plugins
and ultimately it should just be another system that is pulled in as a
set of components. That release of maven and doxia are coupled needs
to be removed for Maven 2.1. I am personally interested in creating a
data driven API for reporting, not a document driven API. No one needs
to use what I'm making, but at the very least I will remove the
dependency on Doxia from Maven's core. I'll probably put this
somewhere in the next few weeks to show people, I just started one day
a few weeks ago and I just ended up where I am now. Not saying anyone
has to use what I'm making just giving folks a heads up.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

-- Shakespeare

Re: FYI

Posted by Vincent Massol <vi...@massol.net>.
Hi Jason,

On Jun 7, 2008, at 9:30 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just letting folks know that I've taken what's in trunk and I've
> been chopping it apart for a couple weeks:
>
> - removing plexus as a requirement
> - dumped the doxia-book module -- it doesn't belong in the core
> - dumped the doxia-maven-plugin module -- it doesn't belong in the
> core
> - dumped the doxia-logging-api -- I don't know who did this but it's
> just a bad idea
> - i combined the parser and sink apis. they are never used apart in
> practice, the separate attempt failed inside maven

Sounds cool.

I'm curious about this last statement. In the design I have for
xwiki's rendering and in wikimodel too the Parser API and the Sink
(Listener in xwiki's and wikimodel's cases) are separated and this
seems to make sense. For example the Parser generates a DOM, on which
transformations can be applied (it can be cached too) and the Sink
(Listener in xwiki's and wikimodel's cases) is used to transform the
DOM's events into something else (PDF, RTF, wiki syntax, XHTML, etc).

In this context I'm not sur what "combined parser and sink apis"
means. Could you explain a bit? My chief concern is that I'm currently
wrapping Doxia into XWiki and I'd like to continue to be able to do so
in the future.

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: FYI

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
I haven't work on it for a few weeks. So go ahead and do your release.
We can call what I have a different version later. I'll have no time
in the next month to push it in.

On 14-Aug-08, at 6:06 AM, Lukas Theussl wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Do you have any updates on that?
>
> Vincent is urging me to prepare a release of doxia-beta-1 which
> would be done from current trunk. There are no scheduled JIRAs left
> and everything seems ready from my viewpoint. So question: is trunk
> releas-able in your opinion or what are your plans wrt to the
> changes you discussed?
>
> Thanks,
> -Lukas
>

> Lukas Theussl wrote:
>> IMO these are all changes that should go into beta-1. The coupling
>> with maven/plexus has always been a major frustration, the sooner
>> this is removed, the better. The logging API was only added in
>> beta-1, so if you are going to dump it anyway, do it now. I don't
>> know what your plans are with book and maven-plugin but I do hope
>> they will survive somewhere, just not in the core?
>> In any case, I am concerned that the doxia development is getting
>> more and more away from what is currently used be maven (ie the
>> alpha branch), maybe we should think about releasing alpha-11 as
>> 1.0 final and move on with doxia 1.1 or 2.0? Opinions?
>> -Lukas
>> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just letting folks know that I've taken what's in trunk and I've
>>> been  chopping it apart for a couple weeks:
>>>
>>> - removing plexus as a requirement
>>> - dumped the doxia-book module -- it doesn't belong in the core
>>> - dumped the doxia-maven-plugin module -- it doesn't belong in the
>>> core
>>> - dumped the doxia-logging-api -- I don't know who did this but
>>> it's  just a bad idea
>>> - i combined the parser and sink apis. they are never used apart
>>> in  practice, the separate attempt failed inside maven
>>>
>>> My ultimate goal is to extract the dependency on doxia out of
>>> Maven's  core. What's happened is a terrible coupling. The plugin
>>> manager is  bound to doxia because of reports which essentially
>>> look like plugins  and ultimately it should just be another system
>>> that is pulled in as a  set of components. That release of maven
>>> and doxia are coupled needs  to be removed for Maven 2.1. I am
>>> personally interested in creating a  data driven API for
>>> reporting, not a document driven API. No one needs  to use what
>>> I'm making, but at the very least I will remove the  dependency on
>>> Doxia from Maven's core. I'll probably put this  somewhere in the
>>> next few weeks to show people, I just started one day  a few weeks
>>> ago and I just ended up where I am now. Not saying anyone  has to
>>> use what I'm making just giving folks a heads up.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>>
>>> We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
>>>
>>> -- Shakespeare

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

  -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Re: FYI

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
Jason,

Re: FYI