Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Marx, Mitchell E (Mitch), ALABS" <mm...@att.com> on 2003/12/08 14:20:29 UTC

Tomcat 5.0.16 catalina.properties

1)
There seem to be 2 different catalina.properties:

jakarta-tomcat-5.0.16-src\jakarta-tomcat-catalina\catalina\src\conf\cata
lina.properties
shared.loader=${catalina.base}/shared/classes,${catalina.base}/shared/li
b/*.jar
	- this winds up in CATALINA_HOME/conf, but when the binary
tarball is expanded, the permissions are 600.  So, in my case the file
does not get read

jakarta-tomcat-5.0.16-src\jakarta-tomcat-catalina\catalina\src\share\org
\apache\catalina\startup\catalina.properties
shared.loader=${catalina.home}/shared/classes,${catalina.home}/shared/li
b/*.jar
	- this winds up inside bootstrap.jar.  Note this version says
catalina.home, instead of catalina.base.

According to
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html
the second file is incorrect.

	If multiple Tomcat instances are run from the same binary using
the $CATALINA_BASE environment variable, then 	this classloader
repositories are relative to $CATALINA_BASE rather than $CATALINA_HOME.

2)
By default, org/apache/catalina/startup/CatalinaProperties.java looks
for catalina.properties in CATALINA_HOME.  Since the user might want to
customize a CATALINA_BASE directory, shouldn't it look in CATALINA_BASE?

3)
According to org/apache/catalina/startup/CatalinaProperties.java, the
location of catalina.properties can be specified via the catalina.config
option.  Shouldn't that be documented in the catalina.properties file?

Re: Tomcat 5.0.16 catalina.properties

Posted by Michael Kloss <mi...@xsldesigner.de>.
Hi,

>> 3)
>> According to org/apache/catalina/startup/CatalinaProperties.java, the
>> location of catalina.properties can be specified via the catalina.config
>> option.  Shouldn't that be documented in the catalina.properties file?
>

> I don't know if this works (it looks like it would, though).
>
> Rémy

I've tested this option. If you pass in startup
-Dcatalina.config=PATH-TO-catalina.properties Tomcat uses the specified
properties-file.

Michael

Re: Tomcat 5.0.16 catalina.properties

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Marx, Mitchell E (Mitch), ALABS wrote:
> 1)
> There seem to be 2 different catalina.properties:
>
> jakarta-tomcat-5.0.16-src\jakarta-tomcat-catalina\catalina\src\conf\cata
> lina.properties
> shared.loader=${catalina.base}/shared/classes,${catalina.base}/shared/li
> b/*.jar
> 	- this winds up in CATALINA_HOME/conf, but when the binary
> tarball is expanded, the permissions are 600.  So, in my case the file
> does not get read
>
> jakarta-tomcat-5.0.16-src\jakarta-tomcat-catalina\catalina\src\share\org
> \apache\catalina\startup\catalina.properties
> shared.loader=${catalina.home}/shared/classes,${catalina.home}/shared/li
> b/*.jar
> 	- this winds up inside bootstrap.jar.  Note this version says
> catalina.home, instead of catalina.base.
>
> According to
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html
> the second file is incorrect.
>
> 	If multiple Tomcat instances are run from the same binary using
> the $CATALINA_BASE environment variable, then 	this classloader
> repositories are relative to $CATALINA_BASE rather than $CATALINA_HOME.

Ok.

> 2)
> By default, org/apache/catalina/startup/CatalinaProperties.java looks
> for catalina.properties in CATALINA_HOME.  Since the user might want to
> customize a CATALINA_BASE directory, shouldn't it look in CATALINA_BASE?

No, it's global (and defines where the binaries are).