Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by David Merrill <da...@reliablenetworks.com> on 2017/06/06 17:10:47 UTC

Retiring OLD Primary Storage - Dealing with System VMs and (assumed) Snapshot related artifacts

Hi All,

We're in the process of phasing out primary storage in one of our zones and had some questions about dealing with:

    1. system VMs (Console Proxy & Secondary Storage)
    2. what looks like (to me), left over snapshot artifacts

We're running CloudPlatform 4.5.1 with XenServer hypervisors and the storage to be retired are Dell Equallogic servers.

For the first item I think all I need to do is mark the primary storage on the Dell EQL's into maintenance mode and then destroy them so that they'll come up on the new primary storage (already provisioned & configured in CloudPlatform).

It's the second item that's giving me pause, when looking at the SR associated with the primary storage I'm seeing disks named like:

    * ABCServer_ROOT-685_20160905000250

and in CloudPlatform have found an associated volume snapshot with the same date data. This seemed odd because I've understood that volume snapshots should be on secondary storage.

I deleted the snapshot in CloudPlatform thinking that perhaps the disk above would disappear from view when looking at the SR in XenCenter, but it's still there. The impression I'm getting is that perhaps this is left over from some volume snapshot failure to clean up?

How can I best chase this down? I'd like to retire this storage but I'd like to make sure that once it's gone there isn't something in the database that's still referring items there.

Thanks,
David

A Message From...
David Merrill - Senior Systems Engineer

"Uptime. All the time." ® www.reliablenetworks.com

Fifteen Years In Business 2003 - 2017

477 Congress Street, Suite 812 | Portland, ME 04101 | ( 207) 772-5678

private/hybrid cloud hosting | Zimbra groupware | managed services
proactive maintenance and monitoring | technology consulting

Maine's only managed services and cloud hosting provider with a
SOC 2 Type II audit covering Security, Availability and Confidentiality

This email may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If you suspect that you were not intended to receive it, please delete
it and notify us as soon as possible. Thank you.

Re: Retiring OLD Primary Storage - Dealing with System VMs and (assumed) Snapshot related artifacts

Posted by Sebastian Gomez <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Perhaps could help you:
He have 4.5.2, and recently have migrated the storage hardware, and so we
had to migrate the primary storages to the new ones.

I had to move manually some volumes and VMs with snapshots, and I had to
update manually the cloudstack database to inform the new volume locations.

select id,name,pool_id,folder,path,chain_info from volumes where removed is
null and name in ('<volume_name>');

Get the vol ID to be updated

update volumes set pool_id=<new_pool_id>,
last_pool_id=pool_id,chain_info='<new chain info>', folder='<new folder>',
path='<volume_path>' where id =<volume_id>;

We use VMware, so I can't say you the correct format for Xen. Check the
values from other migrated volumes to see correct format for chain_info and
folder.

Regards.

Atentamente,
Sebastián Gómez

Posted by Yiping Zhang <yz...@marketo.com>.
Maybe off topic, but the subject of storage migration (both for primary and secondary storage devices) comes up once every few months on this list.  I am really surprised that there is still NO official documentation on how to do this properly, or an SOP for users to follow.  I went through the same recently and I had to search old emails threads to come up with a process doing it.

It’s about the time to produce some SOP for this process!

Just my $0.02.

Yiping

On 6/9/17, 2:23 AM, "Daan Hoogland" <da...@shapeblue.com> wrote:

    H David,

    I am not licensed to give support on a vendors propriety product, so take all of this with a gain of the appropriate crystal;

    Ad 1: you are right but migrating to another host should work as well.
    Ad 2: There is a table that tells you that a snapshot or image is on a certain primary storage but you’ll need to track it there. Easiest is to see if the id of the primary storage still occurs in snapshot_store_ref. This as example: ‘SELECT * FROM snapshot_store_ref WHERE store_id = <your old store’s id>”. You might want to make sure all looks all right in storage_pool, storage_pool_host_ref and storage_pool_work as well. And please keep in mind I am looking at ACS 4.5 not CP even though the difference in this area should be at most trivial.

    daan.hoogland@shapeblue.com
    www.shapeblue.com
    @shapeblue

Re: Retiring OLD Primary Storage - Dealing with System VMs and (assumed) Snapshot related artifacts