Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/02/02 15:36:48 UTC

[vote] Acceptance of HARMONY-39 : Contribution of beans, regex and math class library code

I have received the ACQs and the BCC for Harmony-39, so I can assert
that the critical provenance paperwork is in order (although not in SVN
yet).

Please vote to accept or reject this codebase into the Apache Harmony
class library :

[ ] + 1 Accept
[ ] -1 Reject  (provide reason below

Lets let this run 3 days unless a) someone states they need more time or
b) we get all committer votes before then.

Go...

geir

Re: [result] Re: [vote] Acceptance of HARMONY-39 : Contribution of beans, regex and math class library code

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Dalibor Topic wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 02:48:25PM -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> On 3/21/06, Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> Java is so depressingly backwards. We're solving problems over and
>>> over again that would not be problems in the first place if Java was
>>> managed competently, by people who have a clue about involving
>>> communities, and placed the platform before their business interests.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> dalibor topic
>>
>> Can you please stop with the Sun bashing?. Sun has specifically allowed you
>> among others to create a cleanroom implementation of their JVM. In fact they
>> did change the legalese allowing that to happen.
>
> That's a slightly uninformed assertion.
>
> Sun changed their legalese to make it possible to certify
> a cleanroom implementation of J2SE as compatible, a little while ago.

Well, because Apache primarily (and others) pushed to have the JCP changed.

> Implementing the specs by writing open source VMs has been done since
> 1996, and needed no specific blessing.

That's debatable.  Of course, Sun had some strange, untested-in-court
ideas about how to protect the specs, but still - there's room for
debate here.

> Certification of compatibility is not the same thing as the right to
> implement. The former is something Sun can grant, the latter is not for Sun
> to decide.

Again, room for debate...

Posted by Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org>.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org>.
On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:17:26PM +0100, Chris Gray wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 March 2006 15:53, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
> > But alas, Sun currently sees other implementations as a threat to its
> > business model as a proprietary Java vendor, so one has to deal with
> > such things until they stop having a business interest in being a
> > proprietary Java vendor (yeah, right), or go bust (yeah, right), or
> > actually makes true on the 'participation age' and 'JDK community' talk
> > (yeah, right).
>
> Yeah, right +1 :-0
>
> There are quite a few people within Sun who think that what we (Harmony,
> Kaffe, SableVM, Wonka, ...) are doing is cool - well, I've met a couple
> anyway. But once things start to get "official", you're talking to another
> brick in the wall ...

Unfortunately, the bright engineering people at Sun aren't the ones that
run the Java show.

Posted by Chris Gray <ch...@kiffer.be>.

Posted by Anton Avtamonov <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/22/06, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I understood the main Tim's concern with running tests in bootclasspath is
> that real apps wont run that way.
>
> If we test in special VM mode then we go far away from how real apps
> are running.

Agree.
Besides, VM will have to be even more complicated and (most likely) a
bit slowly.

--
Anton Avtamonov,
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [result] Re: [vote] Acceptance of HARMONY-39 : Contribution of beans, regex and math class library code

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
As I understood the main Tim's concern with running tests in bootclasspath is
that real apps wont run that way.

If we test in special VM mode then we go far away from how real apps
are running.

$0.02

Thanks,
Mikhail

Re: [OT] Re: Unit testing revisited

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
On 3/22/06, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> just
> book
> >> Huh?
> >
> > You didn't say "let us test the code in isolation [using a smart
> framework]",
> > you said "let us test the code in isolation *first* [using a smart
> > framework]". I need to write a book about why I think the difference
> > matters, and it needs to be a book because I'll need many many words...
>
> Oh - no, I didn't mean that. Sorry. All three are independent.  You can
> do them in parallel.  We can build our mechanism to do the
> implementation tests correctly while we continue to do everything else.
>
> I just wanted to see if I could get through the fog and be clear what
> the issues are and stop confusing #1 and #2, both of which are important.
>
> To test java.util.Foo, I believe it's important to have BOTH
>
>     java.util.FooTest
>
> AND
>
>     org.apache.harmony.test.java.util.FooTest
>
> as they are intended to test different things (the first as a
> 'un-integrated' implementation test and the second as an 'in-situ'
> API/spec test).

Yes, indeed. We should admit that we need both tests rather then arguing
which test is the right.

Thanks,
Stepan.

If we agree on that and recognize that, I suspect the test debates will
> come to rapid closure, and we'll have a mini-roadmap of what we want to
> do in the testing area that is parallelizable and doesn't hold anyone up.
>
> geir

Stepan Mishura

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:34:16AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> >Heh. You find *those* by running the app server tests :-). I suspect that
> >running the J2EE TCK against geronimo running on harmony and comparing it
> >with running the J2EE TCK against geronimo running on the sun jdk is
> >going to be pretty insightful...
>
> Like a mortar attack is insightful. :)

LOL. There might be a building or two left standing, and we can give the
people that built those a standing ovation :-)

> It will be an interesting test of "The Algebra of TCK-ness"
>
> If A = Sun JDK passes Java SE TCK
> If B(A) = Geronimo passes Java EE TCK on compliant Sun JDK
> If C = Harmony JDK passes on Java SE TCK
>
> then it should be true that B(C).   No need to test!
>
> :)

LOL. I think you've just proved the whole discussion is fruitless.

> >>Please point me to it!  I always want to see new ways of doing this.
> >>Challenge away!
> >
> >Okay :-), top-of-head,
> >
> >http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/excalibur/trunk/framework/impl/src/test/org/apache/avalon/framework/context/test/ContextTestCase.java
> >
> >(one of the last remaining bits of code that can be traced back to apache
> >jserv which was tested using testlet which was around before JUnit). In
> >general, the parts of jakarta and what grew out of it that are derivants of
> >the JServ branch of working (including avalon, now excalibur, cocoon) often
> >do thingsl ike this.
> >
> >The fact I typed that URL from memory and was right is kinda scary, isn't
> >it? I've not worked on that code for *years* and its moved a few dozen
> >times...
>
> That is scary.  It's also scary that you proposed Avalon as an example :)

LOL. That project has some of the best frigging brilliant ideas in its
codebase, some of which most of the java world *still* hasn't figured out.
Ever heard of classloader hell? We /solved/ that, in 1999, before the J2EE
world knew it would become a problem (all the people at JBoss still haven't
figured it out and I hear Geronimo is having trouble too). I still view OSGi
as a broken committee-designed version of half of avalon. The core of the
code that makes apache cocoon go as fast as it goes lived in avalon and now
lives in excalibur. No-one hardly touches it but no-one needs to because its
as rock solid as, well, the JDK :-)

Quality of the code was never a problem with avalon. Another one of my
assertions is that as code quality approaches infinity the number of
people that can work on it together approaches 0. Lisp hackers don't even
try (you might spot a rephrased version of the "all code continuously evolves
to become like a broken version of Common Lisp", above), in avalon, we did...

...doesn't mean reading the code is a bad idea. Go read :-)

> >>So the problem boils down to the fact that we are implicitly doing
> >>integration testing.  That's why I've been suggesting the framework -
> >>let us test the code in isolation first, using "implementation tests".
> >>Then, if our isolation framework is sexy enough, lets try to reproduce
> >>the same classloader/security model we would experience in a VM, and do
> >>spec/API testing.  *Then* we can do integration testing by running the
> >>code in the VM ("in situ") and do the proper (aka (*.test.*) )
> >>spec/API/tck testing.
> >>
> >>I'll post this as a separate message because this one is way too woolly
> >>at this point.
> >
> >Okay, this does sound like "the core" of the matter. There you go.
> >
> >I'll point out that every time you restrict to an ordered sequence of
> >taking care of things in an open souce community you do slow them down just
> >a little (hey, that's an interesting assertion. Hmm. Should write a book
> >about it I guess) so make sure its what you want :-).
>
> Huh?

You didn't say "let us test the code in isolation [using a smart framework]",
you said "let us test the code in isolation *first* [using a smart
framework]". I need to write a book about why I think the difference
matters, and it needs to be a book because I'll need many many words...

LSD

Re: Unit testing revisited

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Leo Simons wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 06:41:56AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

[SNIP]
>> You forgot one - "integration test", which is a unit test that's been
>> around long enough to shave. :)   (It's actually not a unit test...)
>
>   "integration test" --> any test that is not an implementation test or
>         specification test. Typically these test the interactions between
>         multiple pieces rather than the correct behaviour of a single
>         piece.
>
> I forgot another one:
>
>   "gump run using harmony" --> the biggest frigging integration test you
>         can think of. Tests the interaction between harmony and millions
>         of lines of userland code.

     "frigging integration test" -->  A kind of integration test that
           uses a "frig", or "functional rig".  See
           http://gump.apache.org/

:)

> [...]
>>> enough solutions will become apparent, and I still don't quite get why it
>>> is the subject of continuous debate (eg can't someone just go out and try
>>> and do what you propose and show it works?).
>> The problem is 'completeness' because we have multiple problems to
>> solve.
>
> Uh-oh. Completeness is a scary word. I didn't see that coming.
>
> <snip a couple of hackiness details />
>> I think that both of these solutions are
>>
>> a) messy - since only XP psycho's really *enjoy* creating unit tests, we
>> want to make it as painless as possible as to not disincentivize
>> developers.  Look at what we have so far.  IBM had to go off to the Unit
>> Test Mines they run in a Secret Undisclosed Location in the Principality
>> of BigBlueLand to provide unit tests for stuff they had already donated!
>> :) [Thanks, btw]
>
> The class library design is messy. Testing it will, one way or another, be
> a messy subject.
>
>> b) subject to "mechanical failure" - we're doing all sorts of unnatural
>> acts on code that is usually the "rock solid" basis for doing these
>> unnatural things to other code (like in app servers), and I worry that
>> such complexity will lead to very hard or impossible to find failures or
>> bugs
>
> Heh. You find *those* by running the app server tests :-). I suspect that
> running the J2EE TCK against geronimo running on harmony and comparing it
> with running the J2EE TCK against geronimo running on the sun jdk is
> going to be pretty insightful...

Like a mortar attack is insightful. :)

It will be an interesting test of "The Algebra of TCK-ness"

If A = Sun JDK passes Java SE TCK
If B(A) = Geronimo passes Java EE TCK on compliant Sun JDK
If C = Harmony JDK passes on Java SE TCK

then it should be true that B(C).   No need to test!

:)

>>> There is also the possibility that all the package-private materials in
>>> reality are fully exercised if you test the public parts of the package
>>> thoroughly enough. A coverage utility like clover can show that. XP
>>> (extreme programming) purists (like me) might argue that if you have
>>> package-private stuff that is not exerciseable through the public API
>>> that the package-private stuff needs to be factored out. But lets try not
>>> to argue too much :-)
>> I agree with the latter part.  What I worry about though is that despite
>> the best of intentions, unit testing tends not to ever be complete and
>> thorough.  I don't know if things like clover indicate the quality of
>> the coverage - but simply having coverage just isn't enough, IMO, as you
>> may not exercise completely enough so that all internal functionality is
>> directly exercised.  Dunno.
>
> You've never had the pleasure of being part of a project that was fully
> XP-run from the start, have you? Its not a pipe dream but its also not
> likely to be attainable for harmony (if we want to get anything running

No, I haven't.  I don't think you could do Jave SE as XP because design
and planning is needed :)

Re: Unit testing revisited

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.

Re: Unit testing revisited

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Leo Simons wrote:
> Just two cents (or a little more) from the peanut gallery...
>
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:45:42PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Tim Ellison wrote:
>>> Just to clarify terminology -- unit tests are a 'style' of test that
>>> focus on particular units of functionality.  Unit tests can be both
>>> implementation tests and API tests.  Implementation tests are specific
>>> to our implementation (the mechanism, hidden to the end user, by which
>>> we chose to implement the APIs); and API tests are common to all
>>> conformant implementations (they test the APIs used by the end user).
>> So can we refer to "implementation tests" as "unit tests", because I
>> would bet that's a well-understood useage, and refer to things that are
>> strictly testing the API as "API tests".
>
> Thinking more about all this verbiage, and looking at a bunch of "unit
> tests" in many apache packages, I think the definitions are inherently
> too vague to get consensus on. It comes down to "what is a unit", and
> this is an age-old discussion (see: metric system vs inches) we should
> not try and have.
>
> It gets us into arguments like "that is not a proper unit test". 'Why
> not?' "The unit is too big." 'Well, our units are just bigger than yours,
> you silly Brits!' "Why you little...!"
>
> So I will suggest we don't go and try to define "unit test" and stop using
> the phrase when we want to make distinctions between stuff.
>
> Eg I would suggest that we bite the bullet and go something like this:
>
>   "unit test" --> any test runnable by a "unit testing framework" such as
>           JUnit or Cactus.
>
>   "implementation test" --> a test run to verify that a specific piece
>           of code, preferably as small a piece as is seperately
>           testable, behaves as expected.
>
>   "specification test" --> a test run to verify that an implementation is
>           conformant with some specification, prefereably as small a piece
>           of the specification for which a test can be defined.
>
>   "API test" --> a specification test where the specification takes the
>           form of an API definition (perhaps a java interface with
>           supporting javadocs, perhaps just javadocs, perhaps IDL...)
>
>   "tck test" --> any test defined as part of something that is called a
>           "TCK" or technology compatibility kit. TCK tests are
>           supposed to be specification tests.

You forgot one - "integration test", which is a unit test that's been
around long enough to shave. :)   (It's actually not a unit test...)

These definitions are fine.  The key is to separate out "implementation"
from spec/API, IMO.

>>> We have implementation tests that require package private, and maybe
>>> even private access to our implementation classes both in the java.* and
>>> o.a.h.* packages.
>
> This seems correct.
>
>>> The 'problem' is that we cannot define classes in java.* packages that
>>> are loaded by the application classloader.  That is counter to
>>> specification and prohibited by the VM.
>>>
>>> We also have API tests that should not have access to package private
>>> and even private types in the implementation.
>
> This seems correct too.
>
>>> The 'problem' is that running API tests in java.* packages does provide
>>> such access, and worse runs those tests on the bootclassloader which
>>> gives them special security access not afforded to our users.
>
> This makes sense.
>
>>> I've said this lots of times before.
>
> Usually that means one is not coming across well, not that people aren't
> trying to listen or anything like that :-)
>
>>> We already see lots of errors caused by
>>> oversight of the classloader differences.
>> Right.  And I think the solution is to think about this in some other
>> way than just running things in a VM, like a test harness that does the
>> right thing in terms of the classes being tested (what would be in the
>> boot classloader) and the classes doing the testing.
>
> I don't know about that. I'm sure that if the problem is well-defined
> enough solutions will become apparent, and I still don't quite get why it
> is the subject of continuous debate (eg can't someone just go out and try
> and do what you propose and show it works?).

The problem is 'completeness' because we have multiple problems to
solve.  The .test.* solution works - it gets the test off the boot
classpath (and associated namespaces) so the API tests can function
properly - in the right security context, namely the same as user code.

> [...]
> to create the facade, and then implementation test the code generation.
> Or just not bother). Eg
>
> --
> package java.foo;
>
> import o.a.h.j.foo.FooImpl;
>
> class Foo { /* package private */
>   private final FooImpl f = new FooImpl();
>
>   void foo()
>   {
>     f.foo();
>   }
> }
> --
> package o.a.h.j.foo;
>
> public class FooImpl
> {
>   public void foo()  // readily testable, cuz public
>   {
>     /* ... */
>   }
> }
> --
>
> The last option I'm aware of is to resort to using reflection,
> since the runtime type system can bypass any and all access restrictions
> if you have the appropriate security manager, but that leads to rather
> painful test coding and makes the test coding error prone.

I think that both of these solutions are

a) messy - since only XP psycho's really *enjoy* creating unit tests, we
want to make it as painless as possible as to not disincentivize
developers.  Look at what we have so far.  IBM had to go off to the Unit
Test Mines they run in a Secret Undisclosed Location in the Principality
of BigBlueLand to provide unit tests for stuff they had already donated!
:) [Thanks, btw]

b) subject to "mechanical failure" - we're doing all sorts of unnatural
acts on code that is usually the "rock solid" basis for doing these
unnatural things to other code (like in app servers), and I worry that
such complexity will lead to very hard or impossible to find failures or
bugs

> There is also the possibility that all the package-private materials in
> reality are fully exercised if you test the public parts of the package
> thoroughly enough. A coverage utility like clover can show that. XP
> (extreme programming) purists (like me) might argue that if you have
> package-private stuff that is not exerciseable through the public API
> that the package-private stuff needs to be factored out. But lets try not
> to argue too much :-)

I agree with the latter part.  What I worry about though is that despite
the best of intentions, unit testing tends not to ever be complete and
thorough.  I don't know if things like clover indicate the quality of
the coverage - but simply having coverage just isn't enough, IMO, as you
may not exercise completely enough so that all internal functionality is
directly exercised.  Dunno.

> I doubt it comes from Eclipse-land. If ViewCVS wasn't locked for CVS
> I could probably find you code from 1997 at the ASF that has a .test.

Tim referenced Eclipse as the source of the practice.  That's why I was
asking for how they solved the problem of implementation testing.

>>> The only thing shared with Eclipse-land here is the *.tests.* package
>>> name element, hardly significant or unique I expect.
>> Well, it is around here. While I haven't done a survey, I'm used to
>> projects keeping things in parallel trees to make it easy to test.
>
> If with "here" you mean "the ASF" I'm happy to challenge the assertion :-)

Please point me to it!  I always want to see new ways of doing this.
Challenge away!

>> Granted, projects don't have the problem we have.
>>
>> The thing I'm asking for is this - how in Eclipse-land do they test
>> package protected stuff?  How do they do implementation tests?
>
> I suspects its one or more of the above. For my own code, I tend to
> design it so that implementation tests are not neccessary - eg I build
> a large amount of specification tests (API tests) and verify that the
> code coverage from running the API tests is 100%. Of course we don't
> have that luxury (the API is already defined, and most of it probably
> wasn't designed with this whole "purist" testing thing in mind).
>
>>> Eclipse testing does not have the java.* namespace issues with
>>> classloaders that we have got.
>> Right, but that's a classloader and security manager issue for the
>> testing framework, isn't it?
>>
>> Hypothetically....suppose we decided (for whatever reason) that we
>> weren't going to test in situ to get better control of the environment.
>>  What would you do?
>
> What does "in situ" mean?

"in the original place".  IOW, we test this code not in isolation, like
in a testing framework, but in the VM itself, which IMO is the problem.

It's the problem because (as Tim rightly points out) any in-package unit
tests are running "incorrectly" - they are not running as user code that
uses the target classes would be running.

Unit testing revisited (was: ...Acceptance of HARMONY-39...)

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
> [...]

> package protected stuff?  How do they do implementation tests?

I suspects its one or more of the above. For my own code, I tend to
design it so that implementation tests are not neccessary - eg I build
a large amount of specification tests (API tests) and verify that the
code coverage from running the API tests is 100%. Of course we don't
have that luxury (the API is already defined, and most of it probably
wasn't designed with this whole "purist" testing thing in mind).

> >Eclipse testing does not have the java.* namespace issues with
> >classloaders that we have got.
>
> Right, but that's a classloader and security manager issue for the
> testing framework, isn't it?
>
> Hypothetically....suppose we decided (for whatever reason) that we
> weren't going to test in situ to get better control of the environment.

What does "in situ" mean?

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> Just a random idea...  Why not have a special "testing" mode in the VM
> that would trigger special permissions to code in ".test" packages?

You wouldn't need that when testing in the VM. :)

That's why Tim suggested o.a.h.test.xxxx so then you stay out of package
  namespace that "belongs" to the boot classpath.

> Actually, this mechanism could act differently:  simply consider
> some.package and some.package.test as being the *same* package (so,
> erase, at loading time, the .test package suffix from loaded classes.
> It could also "combine" the fields & methods of package.Foo with
> package.test.Foo if classes with identical names exist in both packages,
>  so that private methods could be tested.

To me the problem then is that our VM becomes a testing framework - why
not just have a testing framework?

> Additionally, the testing mode could allow for loading java.lang.*
> classes in user class loaders.
>
> Of course, this would be a non-standard option, like -Xtestpermissions .
> And, this way, all the test code could reside in files and directories
> that would be separate from the real code.
>
> Yep, a random idea.  ;-)

Not a bad one, but it seems like a special "testing framework" with just
another name :)

geir

Posted by Etienne Gagnon <eg...@sablevm.org>.

sorry (was: Re: [result] Re: [vote] Acceptance of HARMONY-39 : Contribution of beans, regex and math class library code)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
<snip>
>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
<snip>
>>> With the "custom" of putting in things in o.a.h.t are we
>>> implicitly discouraging good testing practice?
>>
>> This is laughable.
>
> You are going to have to explain why it's "laughable".  If you are
> testing a.b.c.Foo and you have to do it from a.b.c.test.FooTest, how can
> you ever do implementation testing of Foo?  It's not an unreasonable
> question.  Certainly not "laughable".

I'm behind on my mail at the moment as I prepare for the Harmony talk at
eclipsecon -- so I'll give you a proper answer later, but I wanted to
apologize straight away if my flippant response caused offense.  I hope
you know I don't mean it personally.  I'm passionate about the
*technology* !  and it kinda spilled over ;-)  I'll behave better...

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [result] Re: [vote] Acceptance of HARMONY-39 : Contribution of beans, regex and math class library code

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> [...]

weren't going to test in situ to get better control of the environment.
  What would you do?

>> I've been short of Round Tuits lately, but I still would like to
>> investigate a test harness that helps us by mitigating the security
>> issues...
>
> Today we run all our tests in one suite on the classpath.  They are API
> tests.

I hope they are more than API tests.

> I expect that we will at least have another test suite of implementation
> tests.
>
> However, over the last few weeks we have been discussing the other
> 'dimensions' of testing that we want to embody, and we haven't settled
> on a suitable way of representing those different dimensions.  Filenames
> for testcases may do it if we can squeeze in enough information into a
> filename (I don't like that approach, BTW)

Which makes sense.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Good unit tests are going to be testing things that are package
> protected.  You can't do that if you aren't in the same package
> (obviously).

We have implementation tests that require package private, and maybe
even private access to our implementation classes both in the java.* and
o.a.h.* packages.

The 'problem' is that we cannot define classes in java.* packages that
are loaded by the application classloader.  That is counter to
specification and prohibited by the VM.

We also have API tests that should not have access to package private
and even private types in the implementation.

The 'problem' is that running API tests in java.* packages does provide
such access, and worse runs those tests on the bootclassloader which
gives them special security access not afforded to our users.  I've said
this lots of times before.  We already see lots of errors caused by
oversight of the classloader differences.

> With the "custom" of putting in things in o.a.h.t are we
> implicitly discouraging good testing practice?

This is laughable.

> Given that this
> o.a.h.t.* pattern comes from Eclipse-land, how do they do it?  I
> couldn't imagine that the Eclipse tests don't test package protected
> things.

The only thing shared with Eclipse-land here is the *.tests.* package
name element, hardly significant or unique I expect.

Eclipse testing does not have the java.* namespace issues with
classloaders that we have got.

> I've been short of Round Tuits lately, but I still would like to
> investigate a test harness that helps us by mitigating the security
> issues...

Today we run all our tests in one suite on the classpath.  They are API
tests.

I expect that we will at least have another test suite of implementation
tests.

However, over the last few weeks we have been discussing the other
'dimensions' of testing that we want to embody, and we haven't settled
on a suitable way of representing those different dimensions.  Filenames
for testcases may do it if we can squeeze in enough information into a
filename (I don't like that approach, BTW), or explicitly defining
different suites of tests.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Richard Liang wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Good unit tests are going to be testing things that are package
>> protected.  You can't do that if you aren't in the same package
>> (obviously).  With the "custom" of putting in things in o.a.h.t are we
>> implicitly discouraging good testing practice?  Given that this
>> o.a.h.t.* pattern comes from Eclipse-land, how do they do it?  I
>> couldn't imagine that the Eclipse tests don't test package protected
>> things.
>>
> Hello Geir,
>
> Maybe we should have two types of test suites:
> 1. Test for APIs including public and protected methods which could be
> run against different Java SE implementations.

Yep

> ==>> If we want to test a protected method of a class, we could mock a
> subclass of this class. And write test case against the subclass.
> (Protected methods are accessible to subclass)

That's actually different but interesting.

> 2. Test for internal implementation which may include tests for package
> private methods and tests for other internal-used classes.
> ==>>We must put the tests into the same package if we want to test
> package private methods of a class.

Yes

> These are just some rough thinking ;-) Any comments? Thanks a lot.

I wonder if we're unique in this situation.  We may be, given we need to
test the things that 99.9999% of the world depends on having right and
working.

We also have the problem that testing w/in a VM makes assumptions about
the VM correctness, which we can't tell right now :)

geir

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

On 3/21/06, Richard Liang wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> > Good unit tests are going to be testing things that are package
> > protected.  You can't do that if you aren't in the same package
> > (obviously).  With the "custom" of putting in things in o.a.h.t are we
> > implicitly discouraging good testing practice?  Given that this
> > o.a.h.t.* pattern comes from Eclipse-land, how do they do it?  I
> > couldn't imagine that the Eclipse tests don't test package protected
> > things.
> >
> Hello Geir,
>
> Maybe we should have two types of test suites:
> 1. Test for APIs including public and protected methods which could be
> run against different Java SE implementations.
> ==>> If we want to test a protected method of a class, we could mock a
> subclass of this class. And write test case against the subclass.
> (Protected methods are accessible to subclass)
>
> 2. Test for internal implementation which may include tests for package
> private methods and tests for other internal-used classes.
> ==>>We must put the tests into the same package if we want to test
> package private methods of a class.

I agree with you that we should put tests in separate suites. I did the
similar suggestion[1] a while ago.

Thanks,
Stepan.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200603.mbox/%3c6e47b64f0603150129mddcae2at4229b4be5b9e71a7@mail.gmail.com%3e

> These are just some rough thinking ;-) Any comments? Thanks a lot.
> > I've been short of Round Tuits lately, but I still would like to
> > investigate a test harness that helps us by mitigating the security
> > issues...
> >
> > geir
> >
> > Mark Hindess wrote:
> >> I thought the crucial thing was that tests should be in a separate
> >> namespace not in the namespace of the package they are testing (at
> >> least not unless it was absolutely necessary).
> >> -Mark.

> >> --
> >> Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>
> >> IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.
> >>

> --
> Richard Liang
> China Software Development Lab, IBM

Stepan Mishura

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> Hi Richard
>
> Did I understand your "1." correctly that this suite (Test for APIs) would be
> something competing with Sun's TCK?

Not sure how you got there from Richard's comments.  As others have said
"no", we need API tests to test our code is working as we intended.
When it comes to getting certification we will use Sun's JCK (the only
way of getting certification).  We should be reasonably confident of
achieving compliance before running the JCK (i.e. we code to the spec
not to the JCK).

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org>.
On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:18:45AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> >Hi Richard
> >
> >Did I understand your "1." correctly that this suite (Test for APIs) would
> >be
> >something competing with Sun's TCK?
>
> No - nothing we do would compete.  it could be the same functionality,
> but it's not competing in the sense of trying to surpass or displace.
> The TCK is the TCK.
>
> However, having our own suite (using Mauve too...) means that anyone can
> be running a rich set of tests w/o having to have the TCK and all the
> legal pain and suffering that goes along with it.

Yup. As one can see on the Jakarta TCK site, there is a lot of suffering
and legal gymnastics involved. If Sun actually cared about fostering
compatibility between implementations, rather than imposing barriers for
implementors, things would be different.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
I'm doing it now.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Fair enough.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1 from me...

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
I downloaded the attachment successfully, and had a quick scan of the
code.  I used Windows XP & WinZIP.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
> On 2/4/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> you're right - it did the same thing for me on my mac.  (Worked fine on
>> my windows box...) And shows the same problem under Linux (Ubuntu
>> whatever...)
>>
>> Andrey, can you fix and attach again to the JIRA?
>>
>> geir
>
> Hi Geir,
>
> I'm sorry about the broken archive, but...  it looks to me strange - I
> can download and unpack it successfully both on my Windows and Linux
> boxes (sorry, I have no Mac in my hands at the moment to check).

Weird.  I tried on Ubuntu 5.1 (?) and had the same problem reported by
Leo (and had the same problem on the mac).  WinXP was fine.

Thanks for doing this - but I assume you want to figure out why this
happens.  If you do, let us know - I'm curious...

geir

Re: [vote] Acceptance of HARMONY-39 : Contribution of beans, regex and math class library code

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
> Well, I was using zip included with the cygwin distribution, this
> could be the issue.
> It seems like it produces zip file which has a difference in one byte
> compared to the similar file produced by zip at my Linux machine (it
> was SuSE9 i586).

> BTW: is there any way to replace a file at JIRA issue? What will
> happen if I just upload the file with the same name?

Nothing, because it's a different name, right?  One was .zip, one is
.tgz....

>>> What software are you using? Have you tried using 'jar'? That should be
>>> pretty cross-platform...
>
> I wouldn't speculate on that, but... I have a strong feeling that both
> zip and jar utilities are likely to have the same core - zlib library,
> hence the luck of creating equal zip files is likely to depend on it's
> portability anyways :).

Lets test.  Send me (privately : geir@pobox.com) a small jar that I can
try on my ubuntu VM...

geir