Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Meir Yanovich <me...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/08 14:38:57 UTC

how can i extract row http data from request

Hello all
i need to deal with legacy web app code , that needs to add basic
authentication to it with sessions
now i need to be able to extract the session id from the header (
can't add sessions into the code )
the scenario is that only once and only once per page i pass the
session into the server side.
but in the next server side calls i don't have it and i can add code
to pass it into the server side call
since i have the session from the first time i will save it into the
map with the session id as the key.
now i need only to be able to extract the session id on every client request .
my question is .. can it be done ?
Thanks

RE: how can i extract row http data from request

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Meir Yanovich [mailto:meiry242@gmail.com]
> i need to deal with legacy web app code , that needs to add basic
> authentication to it with sessions
> now i need to be able to extract the session id from the header (
> can't add sessions into the code )
> the scenario is that only once and only once per page i pass the
> session into the server side.
> but in the next server side calls i don't have it and i can add code
> to pass it into the server side call
> since i have the session from the first time i will save it into the
> map with the session id as the key.
> now i need only to be able to extract the session id on every
> client request .
> my question is .. can it be done ?

If I'm answering the right question...

Create a Filter.  Filters can do things to requests and responses before and/or after the legacy web app code sees the request.  The Filter can handle the authentication, for example by setting a cookie on a first response in a new session, and reading the cookie afterwards.

I suspect some of the other people on the list may have more information on how to do this - I know the theory, but haven't had to deal with authentication in reality!

                - Peter