Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Sam Fuqua <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/23 18:09:44 UTC

background-image on 0.94

Hi,

I'm trying to render a PDF that uses a 72dpi gif as the background-image in
the region-before.  The image is considerably smaller than the size of the
region and so I have "no-repeat" in use.
When the PDF is returned, the image is stretched to the point that a 500
pixel wide image (which should fit with no issues) is being cut off on both
ends as well as dramatically reducing the image quality.

Is there a setting I need to change on the FOP so that it does not distort
my background image?
If not, what recourse can I take to keep the image in?

Thanks

--
Sam Fuqua
ΣΝ ΘΗ 454

Re: background-image on 0.94

Posted by Sam Fuqua <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thank you everyone for your help.  I was able to increase the resolution
with FopFactory.setSourceResolution() to get it to the proper size.

Sam

Sam Fuqua
ΣΝ ΘΗ 454

Re: background-image on 0.94

Posted by Pascal SANCHO <pa...@takoma.fr>.

Re: background-image on 0.94

Posted by Sam Fuqua <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andreas,

andreas.delmelle@telenet.be> wrote:

> On 23 Jun 2009, at 18:09, Sam Fuqua wrote:
>
> Hi Sam
>
>  I'm trying to render a PDF that uses a 72dpi gif as the background-image
>> in the region-before.  The image is considerably smaller than the size of
>> the region and so I have "no-repeat" in use.
>> When the PDF is returned, the image is stretched to the point that a 500
>> pixel wide image (which should fit with no issues) is being cut off on both
>> ends as well as dramatically reducing the image quality.
>>

> I think this may be expected, as XSL-FO does not have any properties
> related to scaling of the background image. Are you absolutely sure the GIF
> has an embedded resolution of 72dpi? (I have run into image viewers that
> simply show a default of 72dpi if they do not succeed in extracting the
> image's native resolution)
> If not, that may be the cause: if the native resolution of the image is
> significantly higher than 72dpi, the picture will appear stretched.
>
>  Is there a setting I need to change on the FOP so that it does not distort
>> my background image?
>> If not, what recourse can I take to keep the image in?
>>

> The usually suggested workaround (for a page-background) is to insert the
> image in the FO as a fo:external-graphic in one of the generally unused
> side-regions (region-start/region-end). Using a fo:external-graphic allows
> to control scaling via the width/height and content-width/content-height
> properties.
>

> HTH!
>
> Andreas

Sam Fuqua