Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Brenden Towey <br...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/07 17:20:47 UTC

New 12.2 install, can't change netbeans.conf

I have a brand new 12.2 installation under Windows 10, and so far I've
spent a fair amount of time trying to make changes to nebeans.conf and
failing.  Windows UAC doesn't seem to like your configuration file very
much.  I'd like to see changes to the installer to specifically permit
easier editing of that file, and maybe a review to identify other files
that the user might reasonably need make changes to.

Corollary: does anyone know how to change netbeans.conf under windows
10?  I'd appreciate the help.

RE: New 12.2 install, can't change netbeans.conf

Posted by pe...@webparity.net.
Everyone,

I wrote a bug in JIRA about Netbeans 11.3 and 12.1 starting but the UI never launches on my laptop which is fine on my desktop.

This all started when I updated JAVA.

Please, no one is responding to my ticket and I’m sorry I’m writing you all here.

Thank you for anything you can do.

Peter Borreggine

Owner and Developer

Angular/Bootstrap/NodeJS/Databases/HTML5/CSS3/Responsive Web Design/SEO

 <http://webparity.net/> WebParity.net

A Service Connected Disabled Veteran Owned Business

WA State License: 603-501-609

360-830-8926 C

“Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way…”

Was a coined phrase (Moto) of the 3701 BMT Squadron in Lakeland AFB long before Lee Iacocca ever used it.

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original message and its attachments. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.

You have to run Wordpad (or whatever editor you're using) as an administrator. And don't forget to save a copy first!

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:netbeans@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com <http://www.ptoye.com>

-------------------------

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 12/7/20 9:52 AM, Brenden Towey wrote:

> Yup, this worked.  It is super inconvenient though.  First, I'm used
> to picking Gvim directly off of a context menu  (right click the file,
> pick "Edit with Gvim").  Second I have to actually navigate to the
> Gvim file on my hard drive to do this.  Windows doesn't present "run
> as administrator" if I try to use a shortcut.  So the quick bar at the
> bottom of my screen doesn't work, and neither does the Start menu.  It
> has to be navigated manually using Explorer.  Then after that I have
> to manually navigate to the netbeans.conf file again because Gvim
> starts up with the default in its own directory, not where I was
> looking two minutes ago with Explorer.
>
> Again a simple config file in my users directory that's owned by me
> would be a lot more convenient.
That's possible create an etc dir in your netbeans user dir, than add a
writable copy of netbeans.conf there.

Posted by Brenden Towey <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Toye <ne...@ptoye.com>.
Dear Brenden,

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
You can make a copy of the netbeans.conf in your <netbeans
userdir>/etc/netbeans.conf

Posted by Brenden Towey <br...@gmail.com>.
Weirdly, this does not seem to be correct.  It appears the file
permissions don't matter.  From that Superuser question I alluded to
earlier:

"Because file permissions don't matter, it is an operating system
protected area. You need to copy out and back in, and OK the UAC prompt.
If you have disabled UAC then re-enable it."

Link:

https://superuser.com/questions/1608045/how-to-modify-read-only-file-on-windows-10

So at least one Windows maven seems to think that the effective
permissions don't matter.  I think that's very odd, but it appears to be
true.

Posted by Brenden Towey <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.