Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/02 09:55:23 UTC

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #422: Upgrade Bootstrap to 2.3.1

On 3/1/13, Apache Bloodhound <bl...@incubator.apache.org> wrote:
> #422: Upgrade Bootstrap to 2.3.1

[...]
> Comment (by rjollos):
>
>  (In [1451827])
>
>  Refs #422: Updated release notes.

Shall we upgrade to jQuery 1.9 too ? Is it required to make Bootstrap
2.3.1 work ? If so how well will it play with Trac and BH specific js
?

... or maybe that does not matter at all ?

Olemis.

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #422: Upgrade Bootstrap to 2.3.1

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 3/14/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:

[...]
>> I'd rather say that if there's something in Bootstrap requiring 1.9.x
>> then upgrading is a MUST so, before spending some time figuring this
>> out we better ask authors or somebody who knows , then check .
>

> We are thinking alike! It's on my TODO list, to investigate which versions
> of jQuery are supported by Bootstrap 2.3.1 (and in general, which
> version(s) of jQuery they test against, and what jQuery version support we
> can expect for future Bootstrap versions).

awesome !
looking forward to know of this

> Don't feel bad if you beat me to
> figuring this one out ;)

... I just took the pill ... ;)

Olemis.

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #422: Upgrade Bootstrap to 2.3.1

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/2/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> [...]
> >> >

> >> Shall we upgrade to jQuery 1.9 too ? Is it required to make Bootstrap
> >> 2.3.1 work ? If so how well will it play with Trac and BH specific js
> >> ?
> >>
> >> ... or maybe that does not matter at all ?
> >

> > I didn't think about this, but it does seem like something we should have
> > looked at before the upgrade to 2.3.0.
> >
> > Here is what I'm seeing:
> >  - Trac 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 provide jQuery 1.7.2
> >  - The version of jQuery provided by Trac is what we are using on all
> > Bloodhound pages.
> >  - Trac 1.1.x release line currently provides 1.8.3 and will eventually
> > upgrade to jQuery 1.9 or 2.0 (1)
> >  - Bootstrap 2.2.0 release (2) notes state "upgraded to jQuery 1.8.1"
> >  - Bootstrap 2.3.0 release notes state "upgraded to jQuery 1.9"
> >

> AFAICR once upon a time I submitted a patch (committed afaicr) to
> upgrade to jQuery 1.8.x . I guessed Trac did a similar thing later and
> we just discarded our own patch . I don't recall whether at that time
> some things stopped working ... but I did included it in the patch .
>
> > Should it work with jQuery 1.7.x? How
> > about 1.8.x?
> >

> for instance , afaicr latest versions of bootstrap were written
> considering AMD and other stuff addded in 1.8.x series ... IOW some
> incompatible changes might break few things
>
> > I suppose that, whether it matters or not depends on whether anything is
> > broken in Bloodhound, or could break.
>
> I'd rather say that if there's something in Bootstrap requiring 1.9.x
> then upgrading is a MUST so, before spending some time figuring this
> out we better ask authors or somebody who knows , then check .

We are thinking alike! It's on my TODO list, to investigate which versions
of jQuery are supported by Bootstrap 2.3.1 (and in general, which
version(s) of jQuery they test against, and what jQuery version support we
can expect for future Bootstrap versions). Don't feel bad if you beat me to
figuring this one out ;)

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #422: Upgrade Bootstrap to 2.3.1

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 3/2/13, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/1/13, Apache Bloodhound <bl...@incubator.apache.org> wrote:
>> > #422: Upgrade Bootstrap to 2.3.1
>> >
>> [...]
>> >
>> > Comment (by rjollos):
>> >
>> >  (In [1451827])
>> >
>> >  Refs #422: Updated release notes.
>> >

>> Shall we upgrade to jQuery 1.9 too ? Is it required to make Bootstrap
>> 2.3.1 work ? If so how well will it play with Trac and BH specific js
>> ?
>>
>> ... or maybe that does not matter at all ?
>

> I didn't think about this, but it does seem like something we should have
> looked at before the upgrade to 2.3.0.
>
> Here is what I'm seeing:
>  - Trac 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 provide jQuery 1.7.2
>  - The version of jQuery provided by Trac is what we are using on all
> Bloodhound pages.
>  - Trac 1.1.x release line currently provides 1.8.3 and will eventually
> upgrade to jQuery 1.9 or 2.0 (1)
>  - Bootstrap 2.2.0 release (2) notes state "upgraded to jQuery 1.8.1"
>  - Bootstrap 2.3.0 release notes state "upgraded to jQuery 1.9"

AFAICR once upon a time I submitted a patch (committed afaicr) to
upgrade to jQuery 1.8.x . I guessed Trac did a similar thing later and
we just discarded our own patch . I don't recall whether at that time
some things stopped working ... but I did included it in the patch .

> Should it work with jQuery 1.7.x? How
> about 1.8.x?

for instance , afaicr latest versions of bootstrap were written
considering AMD and other stuff addded in 1.8.x series ... IOW some
incompatible changes might break few things

> I suppose that, whether it matters or not depends on whether anything is
> broken in Bloodhound, or could break.

I'd rather say that if there's something in Bootstrap requiring 1.9.x
then upgrading is a MUST so, before spending some time figuring this
out we better ask authors or somebody who knows , then check .

> We can use the `jquery_location`

+1

Olemis.

Apacheā„¢ Bloodhound contributor
http://issues.apache.org/bloodhound

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #422: Upgrade Bootstrap to 2.3.1

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/1/13, Apache Bloodhound <bl...@incubator.apache.org> wrote:
> > #422: Upgrade Bootstrap to 2.3.1
> >
> [...]
> >
> > Comment (by rjollos):
> >
> >  (In [1451827])
> >
> >  Refs #422: Updated release notes.
> >

> Shall we upgrade to jQuery 1.9 too ? Is it required to make Bootstrap
> 2.3.1 work ? If so how well will it play with Trac and BH specific js
> ?
>
> ... or maybe that does not matter at all ?

I didn't think about this, but it does seem like something we should have
looked at before the upgrade to 2.3.0.

Here is what I'm seeing:
 - Trac 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 provide jQuery 1.7.2
 - The version of jQuery provided by Trac is what we are using on all
Bloodhound pages.
 - Trac 1.1.x release line currently provides 1.8.3 and will eventually
upgrade to jQuery 1.9 or 2.0 (1)
 - Bootstrap 2.2.0 release (2) notes state "upgraded to jQuery 1.8.1"
 - Bootstrap 2.3.0 release notes state "upgraded to jQuery 1.9"

So what does it mean when the Bootstrap release notes state "upgrade to
jQuery"? The Bootstrap package doesn't include jQuery, but they have jQuery
in the repository (3). I'm guess that "upgrade to jQuery" means that they
are testing their jQuery plugins against a particular release of jQuery.
However, I don't see any compatibility statements, as to what versions of
jQuery Bootstrap should work with. Should it work with jQuery 1.7.x? How
about 1.8.x?

I suppose that, whether it matters or not depends on whether anything is
broken in Bloodhound, or could break. We can use the `jquery_location`
setting in TracIni to provide our own version of jQuery. We could check
what was done in Trac when they moved from 1.7.2 to 1.8.3 and if no jQuery
code changes were needed, then we can probably make that transition without
any issues. Since Trac hasn't yet upgraded to 1.9.x, we'd potentially be
discovering more stuff for ourselves there, but whatever we find could be
beneficial for moving along the Trac upgrade of jQuery.

I previously found a incompatibility in Trac (4) between the versions of
jQuery and jQuery UI being used in the development line, so I'm convinced
that the potential for issues here is more than theoretical. To me, the
biggest question here is whether Bootstrap has any stated jQuery
compatibility requirements.

(1) http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/11019
(2) https://github.com/twitter/bootstrap/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md<https://github.com/twitter/bootstrap/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md>
(3)