Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Yash Ganthe <ya...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/11 14:17:01 UTC

Kafka for Vehicle location tracking

Hi,

I am new to Kafka and hence would like to validate the following design.
Imagine, a vehicle is being tracked by multiple people. V1 is tracked by
U1, U2, U3. When V1 moves U1, U2, U3 should be
notified and updated. U1, U2, U3 would be tracking several other vehicles
too.

Let me know if there is any issue with this design:

   - Vehicle communicates its location to a port where a program listens
   and logs to a Topic.
   - Vehicle location is treated as a stream.
   - The processor generates another stream that has User as the key. For
   each Vehicle, multiple records are logged to the user stream.
   - Another processor consumes the User stream and pushes the new vehicle
   locations subscribed by that user over a websocket.

Is that the recommended approach?

Regards,
Yash