Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Brinker, Don-NONEMP" <db...@collegeboard.org> on 2011/04/01 03:25:58 UTC

Releases, archetypes, and parent POMs

Hi all,

I'm running into a bit of an odd issue here with using the release plugin.  I have a multi-module project I'm trying to release that has two submodules.  One defines a "parent" subproject with a header like so:
        <project ...>
            <groupId>my.group</groupId>
            <artifactId>parent</artifactId>
            <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
            <packaging>pom</packaging>
        </project>

In a separate submodule, I have an archetype that generates projects that extend this parent.  In other words, I have the following in src/main/archetype-resources/pom.xml:
        <project>
            <parent>
                <groupId>my.group</groupId>
                <artifactId>parent</artifactId>
                <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
            </parent>

            <artifactId>${artifactId}</artifactId>
            <version>${version}</version>
        </project>

Now here's the question:  I'd like the parent version in the archetype to be changed when the multi-module project updates.  As is, that doesn't happen (the parent version in the archetype remains 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT even after I release the whole project).  Is there something I can do to make this work?  For that matter, is what I'm trying to do a bad idea for some reason?

Thanks

-          Don

RE: Releases, archetypes, and parent POMs

Posted by "Brinker, Don-NONEMP" <db...@collegeboard.org>.
Actually, ${project.version} just gets passed along in the archetype files.  To my mind this is a good thing, since I need that token in the generated POM, but it still leaves me with the question of how to designate the version of the archetype.

Thanks
- Don

Have you tried specifying ${project.version}?

/Anders

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 03:25, Brinker, Don-NONEMP <dbrinker@collegeboard.org

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.