Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Keith L. Musser" <km...@idi-software.com> on 2002/12/20 06:33:51 UTC

Schema-validation bug

We have discovered an inconsistency between "Xerces-Java 2.0.0" and "Xerces C++ 2.1" with regard to schema validation.  I believe "Xerces-Java 2.0.0" is handling this correctly, but I don't claim expertise in the intricacies of XML schema, so I'll let you decide.

Below is a schema and a document.  This document is deemed "schema-valid" under "Xerces-Java 2.0.0", but gets the error message "Message: No character data is allowed by content model" under "Xerces C++ 2.1".  (It appears to be prohibiting whitespace in a nested instance of a complex element type.)

I would like someone to confirm that that this is a problem with Xerces-C.  If you agree, I can post it to Bugzilla.

Thanks,
-- Keith

THE DOCUMENT IS:
================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<base_elem xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
     xmlns="simple_namespace">

     <a xsi:type="a_type">
        <d_type xsi:type="a_type">
            <d_type/>
        </d_type>
    </a>
    <b/>
</base_elem>

THE SCHEMA IS:
================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<schema targetNamespace="simple_namespace"
   xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
   xmlns:s="simple_namespace"
   elementFormDefault="qualified">

<complexType name="d_type"/>