Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Brian Schmidt <Br...@weblayers.com> on 2007/08/02 18:41:05 UTC

Office 2007 Docs open read only?

Hey guys,

I am using slide to open and modify office docs. For Office 2003 documents, there was that registry tweak that allowed files to be open read-write. I recently installed Office 2007 and all the documents open read only. Has anyone else encountered this and know a work-around?

Thanks!
Brian

Re: Office 2007 Docs open read only?

Posted by EricFried <ex...@gmail.com>.
"there was that registry tweak that allowed files to be open read-write" --
What key? I am having a similar problem between a WinXP workstation and a
Win2003 Server.
Thanks
Eric

Posted by "Arne v.Irmer" <Ar...@uni-dortmund.de>.
Hi,
just put Slide in the webapps/ROOT of your tomcat.

I had the same Problems with Office 2003 under XP and didn't know that
registry tweak you mentioned. What I did is looking at the
networktraffic with ethereal/wireshark and see that the webdav-client
coming with the MS Office-Suite is testing a lot of things before
reading a document. One thing is that it checks if one can read/write in
each parent directory. As if you want to read
http://localhost:8080/slide/docs/mydoc.doc MS-Office tries to read/write
in "/slide/docs" (ok), "/slide" (ok, too) and "/" (!). At that moment
tomcat gives an error because the used webdav calls are not http/html.
Now MS-Office don't believes that server is webdav capable, this is why
it doesn't want to write, it just downloads the document via http and
saves it in a tmp-directory.
If you put slide into webapps/ROOT the folder "/" is a webdav-folder too
and MS-Office is happy.
Hope that helps.

Yours
 Arne

Brian Schmidt schrieb:
> It looks like our problem is vista related. I was able to add the registry entry to a friends machine who is running Windows XP and Office 2007 and it worked. So i guess our issue is more vista related, but I still don't know how to fix it :/
>
> -Brian
>
> ________________________________

Dipl.-Phys. Arne v.Irmer
Medienzentrum Universität Dortmund