Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by be...@thomsonreuters.com on 2011/01/26 19:10:10 UTC

Tomcat Form Authentication that requires no password for third party SSO

Hello:
I am trying to integrate my application with an SSO partner application.

After successfully logging into the partner app, I will be redirected
and only provided a username to log into my tomcat Form Authentication
app. I am using a DataSourceRealm to check for both Users and User
Roles.

Are there any suggestions as to how I can still authenticate() through
the tomcat container without providing a password?

Thanks for your attention,

Beau

Re: Tomcat Form Authentication that requires no password for third party SSO

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.
I think that you should be a bit more specific about the exact scheme below.
Can you describe exactly, step by step, what happens just before and "After successfully
logging into the partner app, I will be redirected
and only provided a username to log into my tomcat Form Authentication
" ?

I am asking because I just dealt with an SSO system which works as follows :
- the user sends a request for a protected URL
- the server sends back a login form
- the SSO system somehow "recognises" this login form, "fills it in" with the user's
domain user-id, and submits the login form to the server
- the server performs the authentication "as if" it was the user himself who submitted the
login form

It's pretty neat in fact, but a bit mysterious as to how it works. But it works.

No password is submitted, but cannot a password be blank ?

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
There is a file called Authenticators.properties, in there it maps what
you specify in web.xml, to a specific authenticator.
So you write your own authenticator, you add an entry into this file,
change web.xml with your new auth-method

tc server does not come with something like this
best
Filip

Posted by be...@thomsonreuters.com.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Re: Pid OpenSSO request for Tomcat Form Authentication that requires no password for third party SSO

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
It is more curiosity now on my part, but I have a couple of questions :

Where does this SSO third-party app actually "live" ?  Is it on another webserver which
acts as a proxy to your Tomcat ? Or inside of Tomcat itself ?

And you mention that you are supplied a token; how ?  Is it in the form of a HTTP header
added to the request ? or does the third-party app actually fill-in the login form ?
Or does it add a query-string parameter with this token ?

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.