Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1995/05/25 09:53:19 UTC

logging

> 3) How does this look:
>
> IP RFC931 REMOTE_USER TIME METHOD URI PROTOCOL BYTESTRANSFERRED STATUSRESPONSE SESSIONID REALOBJECT SERVERNAME REFERRER USERAGENT
>
> where SESSIONID won't be around until 1.1 at least, REALOBJECT is the
> canonical object retreived (if it exists - i.e., a get for "mother" returned
> "mother.gif"), SERVERNAME is the virtualhost accessed.  Anything else we
> should be logging?

Yes -- you are assuming that you can parse the first line of the
request into a METHOD URI PROTOCOL.  My experience is that this is not
always the case.  More importantly, you *want* to know when it isn't.
So, send the unaltered REQUEST-LINE (or whatever you wnt to call it)
instead of METHOD URI PROTOCOL.

Most people don't realize this, but wwwstat was intended to be a
maintenance tool.  The ability to do

    wwwstat -c 400

is often just as important as counting how many surfers looked
at the home page.

 ....Roy