Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rami Ojares <ra...@elisa.fi> on 2005/02/23 13:37:33 UTC

[vfs] Re: Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition, v 1.3.1_15 (J2SE)

Hi binkley,

I had (maybe 1 year ago) a fairly big contribution vfs
that was rejected because it used 1.4 regex package.
So I basically am for your your suggestion.
Nevertheless I don't think the reason should be that
because of Sun's business plans Open Source community
should make it's decisions. EOL transition only means
getting rid of the responsibilities in terms of support
agreements.

Maybe how you could try to argument is what would
be the practical benefit to the user of vfs. Also someone
who is using 1.3 and vfs could tell what kind of problems this would
create. Further a release could be made available for 1.3 users
and then move on to 1.4.

- rami

Re: [vfs] Re: Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition, v 1.3.1_15 (J2SE)

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Rami Ojares wrote:

> I had (maybe 1 year ago) a fairly big contribution vfs
> that was rejected because it used 1.4 regex package.

Not rejected - we just pleased you to use oro for the regex stuff.
The bugzilla ticket is till open and waiting for someone to do the job ;-)

> Maybe how you could try to argument is what would
> be the practical benefit to the user of vfs. Also someone
> who is using 1.3 and vfs could tell what kind of problems this would
> create.

True words. The only thing I miss during development of VFS is that I
cant pass the cause of an exception to a newly created exception. But
this is not worth the move as there are other solutions for this problem.

> Further a release could be made available for 1.3 users
> and then move on to 1.4.

I think the next move we might see is from 1.3 to 1.5.
1.5 has some very nice features and my feeling is, that everyone is
looking forward to move to 1.5 as soon as possible - Not next week, but
maybe during this or the next year.
As long as we do not use annotations (jdk 1.5 api functions) backward
compatibility to 1.4 could then be archived using "retroweaver" - a
great tool. And it works (at least for me).

---
Mario