Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Theo Schlossnagle <je...@omniti.com> on 2008/08/26 02:51:22 UTC

dtrace patches.

This is just a followup to a previous mail:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200805.mbox/%3C6AFBCFE8-4CCA-4A02-8A43-F9170689695D@omniti.com%3E

The apr-utils include mod got immediate uptake.  Thanks Paul!

I didn't see much progress on the rest of it.  How do I got about
guiding through the patch acceptance process?  Or am I dense and it
was indeed committed and I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Thanks!

Keep me on the CC, I'm not on list.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
Esoteric Curio -- http://lethargy.org/

Re: dtrace patches.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:51:22 -0400
Theo Schlossnagle <je...@omniti.com> wrote:

> This is just a followup to a previous mail:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200805.mbox/%3C6AFBCFE8-4CCA-4A02-8A43-F9170689695D@omniti.com%3E
>
> The apr-utils include mod got immediate uptake.  Thanks Paul!
>
> I didn't see much progress on the rest of it.  How do I got about
> guiding through the patch acceptance process?

Sounds good to me.

The limiting factor is (as ever) round tuits amongst developers.
The more help you can provide in understanding and reviewing
the patches, the lower the barrier to those round tuits.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/

Re: dtrace patches.

Posted by Theo Schlossnagle <je...@omniti.com>.
On Dec 4, 2008, at 10:52 PM, Paul Querna wrote:

> Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
>> This is just a followup to a previous mail:
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200805.mbox/%3C6AFBCFE8-4CCA-4A02-8A43-F9170689695D@omniti.com%3E
>>  The apr-utils include mod got immediate uptake.  Thanks Paul!
>> I didn't see much progress on the rest of it.  How do I got about
>> guiding through the patch acceptance process?  Or am I dense and it
>> was indeed committed and I'm just looking in the wrong place.
>> Thanks!
>
> I've committed most of your patch to trunk now.
>
> I did not however include the bits modifying the build, they seemed
> a little too creative and didn't work right on my mac -- I'll try to
> get something fixed up soon, but patches welcome.
>
> (This means it doesn't build by default, and it fails to compile
> right if you enable it, but I think I can get it fixed before
> cutting the 2.3.0-alpha this weekend).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Awesome news!  Deep thanks for your time investment on this!  Some
cool possibilities are coming with that changeset.

Re: dtrace patches.

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.

Re: dtrace patches.

Posted by rahul <ra...@Sun.COM>.
Pinging the list once again,

    If atleast the below goes in, it would be possible to submit patches
to increase the coverage independently of the build patches. (I would
like to add more coverage in other interesting modules too.)

|     - discussion on dtrace patches by Theo seems to have wound down
|       lately, with only the build steps being problematic.
|
|     Here is the least that we could do while the conf|build steps are
|     figured out. (so that more probes can be added in the meantime.)
|
|    1) we need apache_probes.h to be generated from apache_probes.d in all
|     platforms so that the macros AP*ENTRY|RETURN are defined. (For those
|     without dtrace, it needs to be generated by scripts.)
|     the changes in ap_config.h depends only on this.
|
|    2) ap.d, and apache_probes.d are independent, and could be added to
|     the trunk or left as patches to be integrated once the conf|build steps
|     are finalized..
|
|    3) The same with changes in each of *.c files, perhaps bugs(enh) with
|     a 'Dtrace' keyword? so that new entries can be added as patches by
|     others.
|
| Once this is done, we can split the effort into well defined areas, and
| continue in each independently.
|

| | This is just a followup to a previous mail:
| |
| | http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200805.mbox/%3C6AFBCFE8-4CCA-4A02-8A43-F9170689695D@omniti.com%3E
| |
| | The apr-utils include mod got immediate uptake.  Thanks Paul!
| |
| | I didn't see much progress on the rest of it.  How do I got about
| | guiding through the patch acceptance process?  Or am I dense and it
| | was indeed committed and I'm just looking in the wrong place.

                                    rahul
--
1. e4 _

Re: dtrace patches.