Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com> on 2003/08/25 15:19:57 UTC

[JavaMail][PMC] Allowing commit access to modules/mail and specs/javamail

Has it been resolved whether or not it is possible to arrange for
commit access to a sub-directory of the CVS server w/o having to be a
full Apache committer? I'm generating some stuff for JavaMail, and feel
that submitting lengthy patches and/or JAR files is slowing down my
work with the implementation of JavaMail, and also feel that should bug
reports and/or implementation issues associated with the mail component
could be attributed to me as they arrive. Of course, JIRA access
probably goes hand in hand with committing.

I'm also trying to co-ordinate JavaMail implementation amongst others
as well, but feel that it makes things a bit more difficult for me in
these initial phases to submit lengthy patches and testing code,
whereas I'd prefer to submit lots of smaller patches with individual
tests. But it's a bit difficult for me to write some code, then do a
'cvs diff', then write some more code, and do a second 'cvs diff'
because what will happen is the second diff won't just contain what
I've just done, but also what I did before as well.

I concur with some of the reasoning behind not voting me as a
committer, because this seems to imply other rights/issues under the
Apache interpretation of the term. But it's unclear as to what goals I
have to pass. 6 months seems to be a suggested time-line, but I suspect
this is a measure for how many patches/code quality that has been
developed so far, along with discussions etc. However, I'd like to
point out that I have been fairly involved with the project to date;
I've sent something like 200 messages on the mailing list and written
100 classes. (My count for James Strachan's messages was in the order
of 200 as well, to put it into perspective, and the total number of
classes in Geronimo ATM is about 600.) [*]

Whilst I respect the PMC's decision(s) about not being made a committer
at the moment, I'd like to know what/when does qualify. In the interim,
I'd like to find out if there's a way that I can be more productive by
working on the JavaMail stuff and being able to commit code without
having to send patches/jar files each time. I have a few suggestions:

o Investigate commit access to a sub-part of geronimo (modules/mail and
specs/javamail)
o Create a branch of the main software that I can commit to that is not
HEAD
o Work on a different cvs repository and merge changes back into
Geronimo's JavaMail in bulk

So, please can the PMC/Geronimo's committer team please let me know
what can be done about the current situation?

Thanks,

Alex.

[*] Actually, looking through the mailing list, I'm pretty sure that
I've contributed the most messages to the discussion. My count was 203,
James' 197, Jason 169 and committers less than 100.

RE: [JavaMail][PMC] Allowing commit access to modules/mail and specs/javamail

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Alex,

> Has it been resolved whether or not it is possible to arrange for
> commit access to a sub-directory of the CVS server w/o having to be a
> full Apache committer?

As as been said to you before, there has been on-going discussion with Sun
to see if they are going to provide JavaMail, JNDI, and other components.
If not, clearly we need to go ahead with the kind of effort that you are
doing.  I have just (literally just) had this discussion with Sun again, and
indicated that it was really time to fish or cut bait.  Unfortunately, as
has been said before, you are working on a different timeframe than Sun.  I
hope to hear from them within two more weeks, but to you that sounds like a
snail's pace.

If it is necessary for us to implement our own JavaMail/JAF packages (and we
almost certainly want to do transports/stores), Serge, Danny, and I have all
commented that we could create a JavaMail module under the James project,
and could raise a vote of James committers to vote access to you and others
for that sub-project.

We have a raft of issues with JavaMail, and would love to have you working
on them with us.

	--- Noel