Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by David Owens <do...@synxis.com> on 2001/07/25 16:10:56 UTC

Another solution for DailyRollingFileAppender

All,

A while back I created a TimeRollingFileAppender (Before the creation of the
DailyRollingFileAppender).  I was ready to rip mine out and use the
Daily version
but we needed to roll at specific times, like 5 past the hour etc... in
addition, there is
a problem when to VMs are writing/rolling the same file which causes all
kinds of
strange looking log files.  So, I have updated, maintained, and
continued to use the
TimeRollingFileAppender.  I thought I should send it out there and see
if any of you
thought it might be useful.  It's key features are as follows:
-Allows rolling to occure at any specific time defined to the second.
-Allows rolling at any interval defined to the minute.
-Allows custom time stamping defined by a java DateFormat
-Takes care of multiple VMs writing to and rolling the log file.

It probably lacks some features that the DailyRollingFileAppender has,
but perhaps if
it is worthy we could create a hybrid.

Anyway, here it is for your review...