Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2015/01/09 01:14:25 UTC

Recent new features in 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT

Hi folks,

We've implemented a couple of interesting new features recently, thought
I'd draw your attention to them.  These will all be part of 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.

Some of them are quite big features, others rather smaller.  Please do take
the time to check them out.

In no particular order:

** Email service [1]*

We now have an implementation of an email service so that domain objects
can send out (HTML) email messages.

** Sign-up [2]*

By combining Isis with the Isis Addons' security module [3], it is possible
for users to sign-up to create their own user account by specifying a valid
email address.  This leverages the email service, above.

If you don't want to use the security module, then there are pluggable
(UserRegistrationService [4] and EmailNotificationService [5]) that can be
implemented instead.

** Multi-tenancy support [6]*

Also by combining Isis with the Isis Addons' security module [1], we now
have some quite sophisticated multi-tenancy support.

** Customized user names in UI [7]*

The Wicket viewer shows the user's name top-right.  This can now be
customized by providing an implementation of the UserProfileService API.
This label can also be context sensitive, eg selecting a multi-tenancy or
"sudo" style effective user.

** CssClass [8]*

When an object is rendered as a row in a table, it can provide a CSS hint.
This opens up the possibility of strikethrough text-decoration or coloured
rows.

Also, in case you missed it, a quick call out to Jeremy Branham, who's done
some great work on running Isis using Neo4J.  He's also done a preliminary
upgrade of our JDO ObjectStore to DataNucleus 4.x (Isis is currently on DN
3.2.x), in support of both RDBMS usage and also Neo4J).  I hope to review
and merge this in as part of the next version + 1, ie Isis 1.9.0.

We've also had contributions from Vladimir Nesivic on upgrading and
improving our use of Jackson (used by the Restful Objects viewer).  Many
thanks.

Apologies if I missed out any other recent contributors.

Cheers
Dan

[1] http://isis.apache.org/reference/services/email-service.html
[2] http://isis.apache.org/components/viewers/wicket/user-registration.html