Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Jeff Martin <je...@mkodo.com> on 2002/07/16 20:33:20 UTC

JXR - I'm back (Kinda)

I thought I'd drop you all a line to let you know that I've started
fiddling with JXR2 again.

For those of you who aren't away JXR2 was a proposal to re-write JXR in
a slightly more extensible manor. The idea is to use ANTLR to parse the
source and from this generate SAX events which you can plug into XSL to
do the rendering (Actual as it's sax you could use all sorts of things
velocity for instance, but that's not really on the radar).

Sounds a wee bit like what robert c nix was talking about. And to answer
his questions.

JXR being use for millions of lines of code? Never really happened, and
since it holds all it's data in memory it alway used to fall over with
out of memory errors. Think you would need to balance things between
memory and the file system, although if your clever you can probably get
away with a lot.

Not using JavaCC or something similar? I think the idea was to keep it v
lightweight, although in reality it did parse over every line 11 times.
So I'm not sure this was a good idea. Hence using ANTLR (Although I'm
not sure if the bundled java grammar is not over kill)

I've not gone very far with the whole thing yet, as I've only just
picked it up after a year of slacking. But it does compile not and the
test did pass before I changed them. I would check the code in but I
don't know what my password is anymore ;)

Any way if anyone's interested let me know, otherwise I'll just mooch
along and you'll here from me in a year or two.

--
jeff martin
information technologist

mobile: 44 (0) 78 5547 8331
phone: 44 (0) 20 2226 4545
email: jeff@mkodo.com

www.mkodo.com

Re: JXR - I'm back (Kinda)

Posted by Jeff Martin <je...@mkodo.com>.
On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 22:59, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> The author of JavaSrc http://javasrc.sourceforge.net/ has agreed to
> donate it to Apache Jakarta Alexandria.
>
> It uses a clever way of doing things in two passes to reduce memory usage.
>
> Take a look, I think that it can be a good replacement for JXR and the
> base for the new code.
>
> :-)

Had a very quick look at it and there's some interesting stuff in there.
The main thing I picked up on was the embedding of the symbol table
reading in the parser. This might allow me to generate SAX events
without having to produce the whole AST tree in memory as I am
currently.

Not looked at it all yet though.

Not too convinced yet about having to do multiple passes yet, was trying
to avoid that. If all goes to plan you should be able to generate xref
and javadoc at the same time with a single pass. (That's the theory ;-)

--
jeff martin
information technologist

mobile: 44 (0) 78 5547 8331
phone: 44 (0) 20 2226 4545
email: jeff@mkodo.com

www.mkodo.com

Re: JXR - I'm back (Kinda)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Martin wrote:
> I thought I'd drop you all a line to let you know that I've started
> fiddling with JXR2 again.
>
> For those of you who aren't away JXR2 was a proposal to re-write JXR in
> a slightly more extensible manor. The idea is to use ANTLR to parse the
> source and from this generate SAX events which you can plug into XSL to
> do the rendering (Actual as it's sax you could use all sorts of things
> velocity for instance, but that's not really on the radar).
>
> Sounds a wee bit like what robert c nix was talking about. And to answer
> his questions.
>
> JXR being use for millions of lines of code? Never really happened, and
> since it holds all it's data in memory it alway used to fall over with
> out of memory errors. Think you would need to balance things between
> memory and the file system, although if your clever you can probably get
> away with a lot.
>
> Not using JavaCC or something similar? I think the idea was to keep it v
> lightweight, although in reality it did parse over every line 11 times.
> So I'm not sure this was a good idea. Hence using ANTLR (Although I'm
> not sure if the bundled java grammar is not over kill)
>
> I've not gone very far with the whole thing yet, as I've only just
> picked it up after a year of slacking. But it does compile not and the
> test did pass before I changed them. I would check the code in but I
> don't know what my password is anymore ;)
>
> Any way if anyone's interested let me know, otherwise I'll just mooch
> along and you'll here from me in a year or two.

The author of JavaSrc http://javasrc.sourceforge.net/ has agreed to
donate it to Apache Jakarta Alexandria.

It uses a clever way of doing things in two passes to reduce memory usage.

Take a look, I think that it can be a good replacement for JXR and the
base for the new code.

:-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -