Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2015/04/05 01:20:22 UTC

Maven Web Site

Hi,

what do you think about the following:

http://khmarbaise.github.io/maven-site/

Just did some very simple things...but in my opinion it looks better
than the current site? WDYT ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Hervé,

 > yes mirror icon: but you're right, I was a little too fast at
 > reporting this issue, after a little diggin into the problem,
 > it is only mirror directive
> that is not processed since there is no download.cgi on github :)

No problem better report things which will solved by a way like this
than oversight things...

> Sorry for the noise

No need for appologizing ...

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Hervé,

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le dimanche 5 avril 2015 10:21:39 Petar Tahchiev a écrit :
> Hmm..
>
> not that my opinion matters, but I'm more inclined towards: -0. Yes that's
> right minus zero. And I'll tell you why. It's a good theme, the look is
> slightly better than the existing one (hence +1), but I feel that if we go
> for it we will never get the time to create a better site-plugin (using
> asciidoctor or any other modern, extensible technology) (hence the -1).
-1
we already had that reaction: "not enough ambition, we need to make a huge
step forward" then nothing happens since the huge step is too hard, ier does
not match energy people are able throw in

then +100 to what Karl Heinz is doing = trying a reasonable step forward
Even with this step, we're seeing that it will require to improve fluido skin,
= something that should have been done before

And of course, this does not invalidate more ambitious ideas on reworking the
whole rendering engine

> The
> existing website I believe is written in plain markdown (I'm not sure the
> site plugin supports even Markdown Extra, or Github Flavored Markdown)
> which gives not many options when it comes to formatting.
as said in other discussion, the limitation is not at source markup format but
rendering engine
and changing rendering engine is not so easy: I'm interested to work on it
when I have time, after Jira migration, then confluence, then jdeps plugin,
then ... my todo list is really big
If someone is really interested in working on rendering engine integration, I
can prioritize some writing on how I think we could change Doxia Sitetool
rendering without throwing away every existing reporting plugin or hadwritten
content
But at the moment, I don't have time to try coding it

Regards,

Hervé

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Vincent Latombe <vi...@gmail.com>.
On my mobile the left sidebar doesn't render well, so I cannot really
tell...

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

On 4/5/15 9:21 AM, Petar Tahchiev wrote:
> Hmm..
>
> not that my opinion matters, but I'm more inclined towards: -0. Yes that's
> right minus zero. And I'll tell you why. It's a good theme, the look is
> slightly better than the existing one (hence +1),

 > but I feel that if we go
> for it we will never get the time to create a better site-plugin (using
> asciidoctor or any other modern, extensible technology) (hence the -1).

This is only a changed theme ...default site-plugin technology..

Furthermore if you blame about not creating a better support in
site-plugin...why don't you start it...we all will support you in
creating it...

 >  The
> existing website I believe is written in plain markdown (I'm not sure the
> site plugin supports even Markdown Extra, or Github Flavored Markdown)

some parts of the site information is already written in
Markdown....currently the majority is in apt...etc.

https://github.com/khmarbaise/maven-site/tree/trunk/content/markdown

> which gives not many options when it comes to formatting.

The formatting will be done by the theme and css...

> So in the end I believe my vote would be -0.

>> +1
>>
>> the only real problem I see is the left column that is too big: I don't
>> know
>> if it can be tweaked through CSS
>> But even with that, this version is really better
>>
>> one minor issue: icon is missing in
>> http://khmarbaise.github.io/maven-site/download.html
>>
>> really great enhancement!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>
>> Le dimanche 5 avril 2015 01:20:22 Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> what do you think about the following:
>>>
>>> http://khmarbaise.github.io/maven-site/
>>>
>>> Just did some very simple things...but in my opinion it looks better
>>> than the current site? WDYT ?
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Mit freundlichem Gruß
Karl-Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl-Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Petar Tahchiev <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hmm..

not that my opinion matters, but I'm more inclined towards: -0. Yes that's
right minus zero. And I'll tell you why. It's a good theme, the look is
slightly better than the existing one (hence +1), but I feel that if we go
for it we will never get the time to create a better site-plugin (using
asciidoctor or any other modern, extensible technology) (hence the -1). The
existing website I believe is written in plain markdown (I'm not sure the
site plugin supports even Markdown Extra, or Github Flavored Markdown)
which gives not many options when it comes to formatting.

So in the end I believe my vote would be -0.

> +1
>
> the only real problem I see is the left column that is too big: I don't
> know
> if it can be tweaked through CSS
> But even with that, this version is really better
>
> one minor issue: icon is missing in
> http://khmarbaise.github.io/maven-site/download.html
>
> really great enhancement!
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le dimanche 5 avril 2015 01:20:22 Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > what do you think about the following:
> >
> > http://khmarbaise.github.io/maven-site/
> >
> > Just did some very simple things...but in my opinion it looks better
> > than the current site? WDYT ?
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Karl Heinz Marbaise

Regards, Petar!
Karlovo, Bulgaria.
---

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Op Sun, 05 Apr 2015 16:28:49 +0200 schreef Karl Heinz Marbaise
<kh...@gmx.de>:

> Hi Hervé,
>
> On 4/5/15 4:23 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
>> IMHO, we should do in 2 steps, or we'll release nothing
>>
>> this skin first step is consistent: push it in production
>
> Yes...i would like to go this path...first...
>

>> once done, we can continue the work on other useful but non-related
>> aspects
>
> Yes...step by step not two steps in once...which will fail....

I understand that risk, but I think that the whole layout should change.
For instance towards
http://ironsummitmedia.github.io/startbootstrap-portfolio-item/
In that case you might wonder if it is worth spending time to make the
current content fit into current fluido-skin.

Robert

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Hervé,

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Robert,

i see it the same way...but first i would like to see a new and more
fresh design on the start page...

And yes i see many things which should be moved to different locations
or just removed from the start page like like "Maven Task for
Ant"...(from right navigation..)...

And of course many updates in the docs....mini guides need updates /
changes / cleanups etc.

I've taken same parts of that ...small updates i've already made...but
not very prominent...

On 4/5/15 4:15 PM, Robert Scholte wrote:
> This might be the right time to go through the current content.
> The main page is now an overload of information and for new users it is
> hard to find their way through this page.
>
> IMO the following topics deserve much more prominent location on the page:
> - Download (and install)
> - Getting started
> - Maven Plugins

Yes...

> Topics should be rearranged based on the role/interest of the visitor:
> Maven User, Maven Plugin Development, Maven Core Development (I'm using
> 'development' instead of 'developer', so contributors can help as well).

Yes.. too...

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Hervé,

On 4/5/15 10:40 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> in fact, the problem is not for site precisely but for fluido skin in general
> [1]
>
> the good news is that if we fix the problems, every fuildo skin user will
> benefit from the enhancement
> the bad news is that the fluido skin has been like this for years: we'll need
> more volunteers to fix it. Perhaps using it in the main site will give
> motivation to people with the right skills :)

Yeah..that's going into the same direction as i though...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Raphael,

On 4/5/15 9:36 AM, Raphael Ackermann wrote:
> It doesn't work on mobile chrome. Haven't had a chance to look at it on
> desktop.
Ok...So it needs to adjusted...

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Alexander Kriegisch <Al...@Kriegisch.name>.
Quick feedback: On my iPad 4 under iOS 8.2 it looks good in Safari, Chrome and Opera.
--
Alexander Kriegisch

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Raphael Ackermann <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Lennart Jörelid <le...@gmail.com>.
Firstly - in terms of readability, Fluido is a clear step for the better
compared to the default skin.

Secondly - while both Fluido and the Maven Site Plugin/Rendering Engine
have their assorted sets of problems, I believe it is better to take small
incremental steps towards a goal than no steps at all due to the perceived
load.

I say +1 for both effort and intention, Karl Heinz.

+==============================+

+==============================+

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Jon Harper <jo...@gmail.com>.
For info I've deployed this patch on the site of my project :
https://dev.lutece.paris.fr/plugins/lutece-core/

Le 20 juil. 2016 16:12, "Jon Harper" <jo...@gmail.com> a écrit :

Hi Karl,
I made a JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MSKINS-131
Cheers,
Jon

Jon

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 10:14 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> always intrested in improvements...
>
> can you make a JIRA issue and attach the patch to the issue ...so i can
> take a look within the next days...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz
>

> On 7/7/16 5:23 PM, Jon Harper wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> is anyone interested in this very small change for fluido and doing an 1.6
>> release ?
>> Jon
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Jon Harper <jo...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Karl,
>>> congratulations on improving fluido and releasing fluido 1.5 in february.
>>>
>>> I tried enabling Bootstrap's 2 responsive mode on
>>> https://maven.apache.org and I thought that it was better than the
>>> current version. Please see a demo here:
>>> http://jonenst.github.io/maven-site/ .
>>> I also added preview images of the main the page using firefox
>>> "Responsive Design View".
>>>
>>> The only difference between the two types of images is the inclusion
>>> of the responsive css as per
>>> http://getbootstrap.com/2.3.2/scaffolding.html#responsive .
>>>
>>> Note that the responsive mode does significant changes only on
>>> displays of width 767 pixels or less. Above 767px, the changes are very
>>> minor (tiny adjustments to fonts, columns and gutters sizes).
>>>
>>> Did you try enabling the responsive mode? Was there something
>>> preventing you from using it ? The only drawback I see is that devices
>>> with 767 pixels have a bigger menu than needed, but:
>>> - the current mode already has some problems (text and images going
>>> outside of the menu, less size of the content).
>>> - there are almost no devices in the 610-767 range. (see
>>> http://mydevice.io/devices/ ). For 600px width, the menu still looks
>>> big but not as oversized as for 767 pixels and using it this way is an
>>> improvement.
>>>
>>> Could there be a 1.6 release with the responsive mode enabled ? It's a
>>> very small change (I read in the thread that small improving changes
>>> are welcome until fluido 2.0 is released).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Jon

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Jon Harper <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karl,

wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> always intrested in improvements...
>
> can you make a JIRA issue and attach the patch to the issue ...so i can
> take a look within the next days...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz
>

> On 7/7/16 5:23 PM, Jon Harper wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> is anyone interested in this very small change for fluido and doing an 1.6
>> release ?
>> Jon
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Jon Harper <jo...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Karl,
>>> congratulations on improving fluido and releasing fluido 1.5 in february.
>>>
>>> I tried enabling Bootstrap's 2 responsive mode on
>>> https://maven.apache.org and I thought that it was better than the
>>> current version. Please see a demo here:
>>> http://jonenst.github.io/maven-site/ .
>>> I also added preview images of the main the page using firefox
>>> "Responsive Design View".
>>>
>>> The only difference between the two types of images is the inclusion
>>> of the responsive css as per
>>> http://getbootstrap.com/2.3.2/scaffolding.html#responsive .
>>>
>>> Note that the responsive mode does significant changes only on
>>> displays of width 767 pixels or less. Above 767px, the changes are very
>>> minor (tiny adjustments to fonts, columns and gutters sizes).
>>>
>>> Did you try enabling the responsive mode? Was there something
>>> preventing you from using it ? The only drawback I see is that devices
>>> with 767 pixels have a bigger menu than needed, but:
>>> - the current mode already has some problems (text and images going
>>> outside of the menu, less size of the content).
>>> - there are almost no devices in the 610-767 range. (see
>>> http://mydevice.io/devices/ ). For 600px width, the menu still looks
>>> big but not as oversized as for 767 pixels and using it this way is an
>>> improvement.
>>>
>>> Could there be a 1.6 release with the responsive mode enabled ? It's a
>>> very small change (I read in the thread that small improving changes
>>> are welcome until fluido 2.0 is released).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Jon

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Jon,

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Jon Harper <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Jon Harper <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karl,

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Raphael Ackermann <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Raphael Ackermann <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Hervé,

On 4/6/15 5:17 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> while there are some interesting ideas in reflow, I dislike the result since my
> widescreen is half used :(

Hm...

> http://khmarbaise.github.io/maven-site/reflow/plugins/index.html
>
> the new fuildo test without right navigation has wide left navigation menu
> once again

Fixed...wrong branch of fludio-skin used...;-(...stupid...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Maven Web Site

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
+1 Karl's page is much easier to read for me than the default page, and I
would say it less effects makes more. I like less gray color and bigger
fonts in blue like Karl has introduced.

I cannot say +/-1 on mobile phone. Perhaps we should check this as well.

Good Job!

Re: Maven Web Site

Posted by Lennart Jörelid <le...@gmail.com>.
Hello there,

I just thought I'd comment a bit on the reflow-maven-skin, particularly in
regards to simplicity and readability.

First - we use (or should use) the Maven Site plugin to document our
projects and products. Personally, I use m-s-p mechanics to create user
documentation, operations documentation and technical/developer
documentation.
With some inclusions of PlantUML plugins, markdown standards, and
configuration fiddling in the POM it is a fine tool to simplify the
documentation effort for many developers in concert.
Add a skin like Fluido, and we have decent readability as well.

I saw the reflow maven skin awhile back and decided to give it a try. While
the result of reflow is stunning as far as a website goes, it does also
push the simplicity-vs-configuration ration drastically towards the more
complex side.
When creating a normal website, we have the mechanics of the HTML and CSS
bits to work with; each of which is decently documented. When using m-s-p
and the reflow skin, the mechanics of HTML must be configured within the
site.xml document - on a per-page basis using custom configuration which is
unknown to anyone not having tested the reflow skin.
This implies a new level of complexity, which makes the reflow skin
difficult to use in a multimodule reactor or for larger projects.

I would like to be able to create sites for projects such as are
exemplified by the reflow-maven-skin - but I honestly believe we need to
simplify or revamp the maven site plugin in order to get there.
(I get the feeling that requirements for skins such as reflow were not
really considered when drafting the m-s-p).
Keeping configuration on a per-page basis in the site.xml is a workaround
for not having needed mechanics available elsewhere, or in another form.
It is understandable - and commendable! - that Andrius has gone the extra
mile to demonstrate what can be done using m-s-p.
However, I feel that the current state is far from usable/simple. But we
all need to generate really modern, responsive, readable and stunning
documentation from Maven projects, so I believe that the reflow skin
defines a nice goal/target state.

+==============================+

+==============================+

Re: Maven Web Site