Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2015/01/24 13:52:50 UTC

Re: [OT] Tomcat 8 encoding issues: unable to change the default encoding iso-8859-1 to utf-8 in http header

Christopher Schultz wrote:

> André,

>> Morality : in web applications, always specify the content-type
>> (and character set, if applicable) of what you are returning.
>
> To André: the word you are looking for is "Moral", not "Morality". A
> "moral" is the essential message of a story, while "morality" is being
> able to tell the difference between right and wrong. ;)

Thanks for the vocabulary note.  I my defense, I would say that this family of English
terms is a bit confusing, for a native French-speaker.

The English terms "moral*" are originally undoubtedly imported from the French language
(William the Conqueror was after all a Frenchman).  But they kind of messed it up during
the import procdure, since in French :

"moral" can be a noun or an adjective.  As a noun ("le moral"), it means what in English
is "the morale" (like "..of the troops"). As a masculine adjective, it means "that which
is moral/ethical". And that adjective also has a corresponding feminine form "morale".
So you would say :
- ce conte (masculine) est très moral (this tale is very moral/ethical)
but
- cette fable (feminine) est très morale (this fable is very moral/ethical)

On the other hand, "la morale" (feminine noun) is what in English would be translated as
"the morality" (or "the ethics").
And to top it all, the English "the moral of this story" would be best translated in
French as "la moralité de cette histoire".
A bit confusing, he ?

There are many such things between different - but related - languages, some of them often
leading to amusing situations.  For example, the word in spanish for "suffering from a
cold" is "constipado", which is very close to the french word for being incapable to go to
the toilet ("constipé"). And the English adjective "embarassed" (also imported from the
French "embarassé(e)", and with the same meaning), is very close to the Spanish
"embarassada", which means "pregnant".

This all just in case someone was wondering about my interest in character set issues on
the WWW..

Re: [OT] Tomcat 8 encoding issues: unable to change the default encoding iso-8859-1 to utf-8 in http header

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: [OT] Tomcat 8 encoding issues: unable to change the default encoding iso-8859-1 to utf-8 in http header
>
>> German has its own confusing quirks.
>
> I always liked Schmetterling; the sound is so counter-indicative of the actual entity.

There is a delicious "spanglish" beginning of a poem that features one of those.  It
starts with "One morning, una mariposa was flying in the garden..".

>> And let's not even talk about the tongue-twisting and Scrabble-cheating
>> Bezirksschorsteinfegermeister who visits me every year.
>
> Or is that Bezirksschornsteinfegermeister?  Gonna need a bigger Scrabble board...

Correct, I missed an "n".  That was one of my first experiences in Germany. He rang the
bell, handed me his business card, and before I had finished reading it (see above), he
was already walking past me and down into the cellar, to check the heating system.

Ok, I guess it's enough now with flouting Tomcat's international and intercultural appeal.

RE: [OT] Tomcat 8 encoding issues: unable to change the default encoding iso-8859-1 to utf-8 in http header

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: [OT] Tomcat 8 encoding issues: unable to change the default encoding iso-8859-1 to utf-8 in http header

> German has its own confusing quirks.

I always liked Schmetterling; the sound is so counter-indicative of the actual entity.

> And let's not even talk about the tongue-twisting and Scrabble-cheating
> Bezirksschorsteinfegermeister who visits me every year.

Or is that Bezirksschornsteinfegermeister?  Gonna need a bigger Scrabble board...

 - Chuck

Re: [OT] Tomcat 8 encoding issues: unable to change the default encoding iso-8859-1 to utf-8 in http header

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Martin Knoblauch wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 1:52 PM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> Christopher Schultz wrote:

>>> André,

>>>  Morality : in web applications, always specify the content-type
>>>>
>>> To André: the word you are looking for is "Moral", not "Morality". A
>>> "moral" is the essential message of a story, while "morality" is being
>>> able to tell the difference between right and wrong. ;)
>>>

>> Thanks for the vocabulary note.  I my defense, I would say that this
>> family of English terms is a bit confusing, for a native French-speaker.
>>
>> The English terms "moral*" are originally undoubtedly imported from the
>> French language (William the Conqueror was after all a Frenchman).  But
>> they kind of messed it up during the import procdure, since in French :
>>
>> "moral" can be a noun or an adjective.  As a noun ("le moral"), it means
>> what in English is "the morale" (like "..of the troops"). As a masculine
>> adjective, it means "that which is moral/ethical". And that adjective also
>> has a corresponding feminine form "morale".
>> So you would say :
>> - ce conte (masculine) est très moral (this tale is very moral/ethical)
>> but
>> - cette fable (feminine) est très morale (this fable is very moral/ethical)
>>
>> On the other hand, "la morale" (feminine noun) is what in English would be
>> translated as "the morality" (or "the ethics").
>> And to top it all, the English "the moral of this story" would be best
>> translated in French as "la moralité de cette histoire".
>> A bit confusing, he ?
>>
>> There are many such things between different - but related - languages,
>> some of them often leading to amusing situations.  For example, the word in
>> spanish for "suffering from a cold" is "constipado", which is very close to
>> the french word for being incapable to go to the toilet ("constipé"). And
>> the English adjective "embarassed" (also imported from the French
>> "embarassé(e)", and with the same meaning), is very close to the Spanish
>> "embarassada", which means "pregnant".
>>
>> This all just in case someone was wondering about my interest in character
>> set issues on the WWW..
>>

> Ant then there are the people who think German is a difficult language ...
> :-)

It is. German has its own confusing quirks.
It is for example the only language that I know, in which "die Hose" (the trousers) and
"die Sonne" (the Sun) are feminine, while "der Rock" (the dress) and "der Mond" (the Moon)
are masculine. I mean, who else than a German would look at the Sun, and think "she" ?
(And it long predates Mrs Merkel).
And German also has its own complement of words imported from French, but with a different
meaning, e.g. : "Kommode", which in Germany is just a coat-hanger on the wall, but in the
original French is a massive piece of furniture which would never fit where a German
Kommode does.  Or the (delicious) French word "praline", which in German has become
"Praliné" (with Capital, like almost everyThing in German), while the original French
"praliné" is just a chocolate-based filling. And let's not even talk about the

Posted by Martin Knoblauch <kn...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 1:52 PM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Christopher Schultz wrote:

>> André,

>>  Morality : in web applications, always specify the content-type
>>> (and character set, if applicable) of what you are returning.
>>>

>> To André: the word you are looking for is "Moral", not "Morality". A
>> "moral" is the essential message of a story, while "morality" is being
>> able to tell the difference between right and wrong. ;)
>>

> Thanks for the vocabulary note.  I my defense, I would say that this
> family of English terms is a bit confusing, for a native French-speaker.
>
> The English terms "moral*" are originally undoubtedly imported from the
> French language (William the Conqueror was after all a Frenchman).  But
> they kind of messed it up during the import procdure, since in French :
>
> "moral" can be a noun or an adjective.  As a noun ("le moral"), it means
> what in English is "the morale" (like "..of the troops"). As a masculine
> adjective, it means "that which is moral/ethical". And that adjective also
> has a corresponding feminine form "morale".
> So you would say :
> - ce conte (masculine) est très moral (this tale is very moral/ethical)
> but
> - cette fable (feminine) est très morale (this fable is very moral/ethical)
>
> On the other hand, "la morale" (feminine noun) is what in English would be
> translated as "the morality" (or "the ethics").
> And to top it all, the English "the moral of this story" would be best
> translated in French as "la moralité de cette histoire".
> A bit confusing, he ?
>
> There are many such things between different - but related - languages,
> some of them often leading to amusing situations.  For example, the word in
> spanish for "suffering from a cold" is "constipado", which is very close to
> the french word for being incapable to go to the toilet ("constipé"). And
> the English adjective "embarassed" (also imported from the French
> "embarassé(e)", and with the same meaning), is very close to the Spanish
> "embarassada", which means "pregnant".
>
> This all just in case someone was wondering about my interest in character
> set issues on the WWW..

Ant then there are the people who think German is a difficult language ...
:-)

Cheers
Martin

Re: [OT] Tomcat 8 encoding issues: unable to change the default encoding iso-8859-1 to utf-8 in http header

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.

> André,
>
> On 1/24/15 7:52 AM, André Warnier wrote:
>> Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>>
>>> André,

>>> To André: the word you are looking for is "Moral", not
>>> "Morality". A "moral" is the essential message of a story, while
>>> "morality" is being able to tell the difference between right and
>>> wrong. ;)
>>>
>> Thanks for the vocabulary note.  I my defense, I would say that
>> this family of English terms is a bit confusing, for a native
>> French-speaker.
> Oh, English is a cluster-@#$*&)% because the sentence structure is
> insane and the vocabulary has been robbed from every other language in
> history. I don't envy anyone trying to learn English.. it must seem to
> chaotic compared to German or Latin-based languages (both of which I
> have studied, and they have a certain beautiful order to them ... most
> of the time).
>
> You usually have impeccable English (better than most Americans, at
> least), which is why I went ahead and gave you the short lesson.
>
>> There are many such things between different - but related -
>> languages, some of them often leading to amusing situations.  For
>> example, the word in spanish for "suffering from a cold" is
>> "constipado", which is very close to the french word for being
>> incapable to go to the toilet ("constipé").
> Hah. I would have assumed both of those words were the latter
> (gastrointestinal distress).
>
>> And the English adjective "embarassed" (also imported from the
>> French "embarassé(e)", and with the same meaning), is very close to
>> the Spanish "embarassada", which means "pregnant".
>>
>> This all just in case someone was wondering about my interest in
>> character set issues on the WWW..
> Just don't be embarrassed. Of pregnant. Or whatever. :)
>
> - -chris

embarazada

-Terence Bandoian

Re: [OT] Tomcat 8 encoding issues: unable to change the default encoding iso-8859-1 to utf-8 in http header

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.