Posted to dev@quickstep.apache.org by Marc Spehlmann <sp...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/21 16:48:32 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Prereqs for Quickstep

Jignesh and I spoke yesterday about how to specify what the minimum
requirements are for building quickstep. We decided to 'officially' support
ubuntu 14 LTS, 16 LTS.

Building on a mac will not be officially supported in the initial release.

Now there's the matter of what system packages will be required to build
quickstep. I'm not sure how we can specify this information. One way I
thought of was to use a Dockerfile. From that you can either
build/instantiate the image and run in a pristine environment, or you could
just look at the packages in the file and install the missing ones manually.

However, we already have the vagrant files. Does anyone use these? I'm
partial to docker because it's lightwieght.

What do people think about the issue of system prerequisites?

--Marc