Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Blakley, Nathan LCS:EX" <Na...@gov.bc.ca> on 2008/10/28 22:59:55 UTC

Opening up a second port to an instance of Subversion

Hi, Please let me know of more appropriate groups or sources of info.
I have an existing instance of SVN on Apache (Windows 2003) but need to
open up a new repository, related to training materials, to a larger
audience. We do not want this audience to see the existing source code
repositories. They will only have access to the new repository. This
larger audience is currently unable able to gain any form of access to
the server upon which SVN resides. We are restricted to using a single
server, for the time being.
We are proposing to open up a single port to a provide the larger
audience with access to the new repository. This new repository would
exist in its own instance of SVN. We would need guidance as to how to
create a second SVN instance within a single Apache instance.
What do you think would be the best way to approach this problem? Are
there installation documents that specifically deal with this approach?
Thanks
NB

Re: Opening up a second port to an instance of Subversion

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 18:59, Blakley, Nathan LCS:EX
<Na...@gov.bc.ca> wrote:
> Hi, Please let me know of more appropriate groups or sources of info.
> I have an existing instance of SVN on Apache (Windows 2003) but need to open
> up a new repository, related to training materials, to a larger audience. We
> do not want this audience to see the existing source code repositories. They
> will only have access to the new repository. This larger audience is
> currently unable able to gain any form of access to the server upon which
> SVN resides. We are restricted to using a single server, for the time being.
> We are proposing to open up a single port to a provide the larger audience
> with access to the new repository. This new repository would exist in its
> own instance of SVN. We would need guidance as to how to create a second SVN
> instance within a single Apache instance.
> What do you think would be the best way to approach this problem? Are there
> installation documents that specifically deal with this approach?

You do not need to set up access on a second port. Subversion supports
serving multiple repositories out of the same Apache instance & port,
with strict user separation. See the Apache portion of the manual,
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.serverconfig.httpd.html