Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/30 13:22:38 UTC

How to find the culprit in case of "BROKEN: No pipeline matched request" ?

Hi,

I have a somewhat large site that is generated via Forrest 0.7, and I
get the dreaded "BROKEN: No pipeline matched request:" error. Now the
interesting part is that the page noted in the error message is there,
in fact three lines before the error message, Forrest did state that
it successfully processed the file.
Now I wonder, is there a way to get more info from Forrest, e.g. who
and where did reference the page, etc. ? brokenlinks.xml does not
really help, it basically states the same info as the commandline
output. And calling Ant (I'm using Forrest via Ant) with -v or -debug
does not help either.

regards,
Tom

Re: How to find the culprit in case of "BROKEN: No pipeline matched request" ?

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On 1/30/06, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> > I have a somewhat large site that is generated via Forrest 0.7, and I
> > get the dreaded "BROKEN: No pipeline matched request:" error. Now the
> > interesting part is that the page noted in the error message is there,
> > in fact three lines before the error message, Forrest did state that
> > it successfully processed the file.
>
> That sounds very strange. Please provide more details, such as:
>
> - Forrest version
> - execution mode
> - request being made
> - details of any customisations you have made (project sitemap, skin etc.)
> - plugins in use

As I wrote, Forrest 0.7 (official release) on Windows, execution via
Ant (site target in forrest.build.xml). Normal HTML generation (no
other plugins used, not even PDF). Some adaptations to the CSS, but
nothing big.

> > Now I wonder, is there a way to get more info from Forrest, e.g. who
> > and where did reference the page, etc. ? brokenlinks.xml does not
> > really help, it basically states the same info as the commandline
> > output.
>
> The broken links file tells you which page had the reference which
> resulted in the break. The command line output just tells you that there
> was a break.

I found the problem (but not via any Forrest output): the XML source
for the page in question was not fully correct - it contained an area
tag with an invalid URL. Now Forrest created the HTML page, but still
complained about it somehow/somewhere.
After removing the area tag, all works fine now.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> I have a somewhat large site that is generated via Forrest 0.7, and I
> get the dreaded "BROKEN: No pipeline matched request:" error. Now the
> interesting part is that the page noted in the error message is there,
> in fact three lines before the error message, Forrest did state that
> it successfully processed the file.

That sounds very strange. Please provide more details, such as:

- Forrest version
- execution mode
- request being made
- details of any customisations you have made (project sitemap, skin etc.)
- plugins in use

> Now I wonder, is there a way to get more info from Forrest, e.g. who
> and where did reference the page, etc. ? brokenlinks.xml does not
> really help, it basically states the same info as the commandline
> output.

The broken links file tells you which page had the reference which
resulted in the break. The command line output just tells you that there
was a break.

Other info is to be found in the logs which are located in
build/webapp/WEB-INF/logs (when doing forrest run).

Find out which page contains the broken link.
Do Forrest run
point your browser at the page containing the broken link
click on the link
inspect the logs

(sometimes the browser will give more info as the error as well)

Ross