Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org> on 2020/12/17 14:46:52 UTC

Proposing edits to Incubator web pages

Hi, all:

Over the next few days you will see a number of pull requests covering
edits I am proposing to the texts of Incubator web pages. This is part of a
project I have been working on for several months to do a little tidy-up of
the texts of all Apache pages.

As I work through the pages, I am trying to keep in mind how someone new to
Apache and even to open-source work, and for whom English is not the first
or an easy language, would engage with the texts. Using that lens, I often
try to move sentences from passive voice, which tends to conceal who is to
do what, to active voice. Passive voice is a valid and respectable form of
English, but it can cause comprehension problems.

I am happy to discuss any proposed edits.

Andrew

--
Andrew Wetmore
Technical Writer-Editor

Re: Proposing edits to Incubator web pages

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrew,

> On Dec 17, 2020, at 6:46 AM, Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi, all:
>
> Over the next few days you will see a number of pull requests covering
> edits I am proposing to the texts of Incubator web pages. This is part of a
> project I have been working on for several months to do a little tidy-up of
> the texts of all Apache pages.
>
> As I work through the pages, I am trying to keep in mind how someone new to
> Apache and even to open-source work, and for whom English is not the first
> or an easy language, would engage with the texts. Using that lens, I often
> try to move sentences from passive voice, which tends to conceal who is to
> do what, to active voice. Passive voice is a valid and respectable form of
> English, but it can cause comprehension problems.

I agree completely. I’ve approved your first two PRs. They are minor, but improve readability.

If you find anything in the Incubator documentation that duplicates or contradicts Foundation documentation. I am in favor of removing the Incubator documentation and point to the Foundation document either in list or paragraph format. For changes like those then I think having Justin review would be prudent.

> I am happy to discuss any proposed edits.

Additional edits are welcome from anyone.

Changes can be tracked either in GitHub or by subscribing to cvs@incubator.apache.org <ma...@incubator.apache.org>

Regards,
Dave