Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Staley, Phil R - DCF" <Ph...@wisconsin.gov> on 2020/02/27 21:30:55 UTC

Repeatable search term bug in Solr 8?

All,

We recently upgraded to our Drupal 8 sites to SOLR 8.3.1.  We are now getting reports of certain patterns of search terms resulting in an error that reads, "The website encountered an unexpected error. Please try again later."

Below is a list of example terms that repeatably result in this error and a similar list that works fine.  The problem pattern seems to be a search term that contains 2 or 3 characters followed by a space, followed by additional text.

To confirm that the problem is version 8 of SOLR, I have updated our local and UAT sites with the latest Drupal updates that did include an update to the Search API Solr module and tested the terms below under SOLR 7.7.2, 8.3.1, and 8.4.1.  Under version 7.7.2  everything works fine. Under either of the version 8, the problem returns.

Thoughts?

Search terms that result in error

  *   w-2 agency directory
  *   agency w-2 directory
  *   w-2 agency
  *   w-2 directory
  *   w2 agency directory
  *   w2 agency
  *   w2 directory

Search terms that do not result in error

  *   w-22 agency directory
  *   agency directory w-2
  *   agency w-2directory
  *   agencyw-2 directory