Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com> on 2015/05/20 19:56:49 UTC

Re: Need help with Nested docs situation

data scale and request rate can judge between block, plain joins and field
collapsing.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM, roySolr <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a situation and i'm a little bit stuck on the way how to fix it.
> For example the following data structure:
>
> *Deal*
> All Coca Cola 20% off
>
> *Products*
> Coca Cola light
> Coca Cola Zero 1L
> Coca Cola Zero 20CL
> Coca Cola 1L
>
> When somebody search to "Cola" discount i want the result of the deal with
> related products.
>
> Solution #1:
> I could index it with nested docs(solr 4.9). But the problem is when a
> product has some changes(let's say "Zero" gets a new name "Extra Light") i
> have to re-index every deal with these products.
>
> Solution #2:
> I could make 2 collections, one with deals and one with products. A Product
> will get a parentid(dealid). Then i have to do 2 queries to get the
> information? When i have a resultpage with 10 deals i want to preview the
> first 2 products. That means a lot of queries but it's doesn't have the
> update problem from solution #1.
>
> Does anyone have a good solution for this?
>
> Thanks, any help is appreciated.
> Roy

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev
Principal Engineer,
Grid Dynamics

<http://www.griddynamics.com>
<mk...@griddynamics.com>

Re: Need help with Nested docs situation

Posted by Alessandro Benedetti <be...@gmail.com>.
This scenario is a perfect fit to play with Solr Joins [1] .

As you observed, you would prefer to go with a query time join.
THis kind of join can be done inter-collection .
You can have you <deal> collection  and <product> collection .
Every product will have one field <dealId> to match all the parent deals.
When you add,remove,update a new deal, you have to update in the product
index all the related products.

Then you can query over the products and get related parent deals in the
response.
Can you give me a little bit more details about your expected use case ?
Example of queries and a better explanation of the product previews ?

Cheers

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OiIlIijWH0&feature=youtu.be ,
http://blog.griddynamics.com/2013/09/solr-block-join-support.html

--