Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org> on 2009/02/11 14:41:57 UTC

Release Schedule

Hi as Release Manager for our next release I'd like to suggest the
following time line for this release.

Development--->|<--- Bug Fix, Feature Freeze --->|<--- Branch ---> | Release

The dates for each phase would be as follows:

End of Development : 2009-03-02
End of Feature Freeze : 2009-03-16
Release : 2009-03-27

These dates have been picked as we had previously shown an interest in
getting a release out in March. To achieve this we are following a
time boxed release schedule as we have done in the past.

In our previous release the notion of a 'Feature Freeze' was unclear
so for would define it for this release as:
 - Bug fix commits only

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/M4+Release+Process+Notes

I will address all of the points in a later email but some of the
points can be addressed here.

Previously we also had concerns (Note 4) about the length of time that
trunk would be in a bug fixing phase. To address this I propose that
we time box the phase to two weeks. If we have not completed bug
fixing in that time a branch will be made. This will allow new feature
development to continue on trunk whilst the, hopefully few, bugs are
ironed out in the release branch. Of course if we do get to a stable
release point before the end of the two week window a branch will be
taken at that point, lifting the trunk freeze early. I believe this
approach of branch and tag should also be adopted for future releases
and was the process ultimately used by M4; this would address Note 10.

On entering the bug fix phase all new features currently assigned to
the release and not committed will be de-scoped, at that point a
performing a JIRA review to prioritise blocking issues should help
address Notes 1, 5 and 7. At this point only new bug fix JIRAs should
be added to the release.

An alpha will be created at the start of the bug fix phase for testing
and so we can verify the package contents for licensing (Note 9) and
functionality. A beta may also be issued as we near the end of bug
fixing to allow package providers to verify that everything is still
in good order.

When we have resolved the blocking issues an RC will be created for
final testing and ultimately voting.

Regards

Martin

--
Martin Ritchie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Release Schedule

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Martin,

Thanks for volunteering and for proposing a schedule.

This sounds like a good plan for me, and would fit well with the M5 Java
Scope, at least the items we have defined in scope thus far.

Regards,
Marnie

Re: Release Schedule

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Gordon Sim wrote:
> Carl Trieloff wrote:
>>
>>> The dates for each phase would be as follows:
>>>
>>> End of Development : 2009-03-02
>>> End of Feature Freeze : 2009-03-16
>>> Release : 2009-03-27
>>>

>> This was the last set of dates Martin had put up for 0.5 release. I
>> suspect that
>> it is still worth putting a 0.5 as quite a lot of fixes have been
>> made since M4.
>>
>> Are we still on for freeze on Monday?
>> Feature Freeze     March  02nd
>> RC                       March  23rd (and branch trunk)
>
> In Martin's original mail he suggested a two week freeze on trunk
> (i.e. bug fixes only), with a branch being created after that (16th
> March) on which any remaining issues would be resolved.
>
> Are you suggesting increasing that to three weeks (i.e. branching on
> 23rd)?

no, that was just a typo (still suggest only 2 weeks)
Carl.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Release Schedule

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: Release Schedule

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
I think that feature freeze on the Java side would ideally move out by a few
days.

Martin & Rob are still working on/reviewing the Flow To Disk which is alsmot
complete.

Martin/Rob - when will the work & reviews complete i.e. when would you see
us freezing ?

Marnie

Re: Release Schedule

Posted by Manuel Teira Paz <mt...@tid.es>.
Steve Huston escribió:
> Hi Manuel,
>

>>> I'd like to get the new build scheme in for M5, based on cmake -
>>>
> I'm
>
>>> not sure I'll have a first cut in by Monday, but it would
>>>
>> be next week
>>
>>> sometime. I think that in order for that to be in M5, though,
>>>
> we'll
>
>>> need some group discussion after getting a chance to test drive it

>>> bit.
>>>

>> Are you talking about a project wide cmake build, or only for the
>> windows part?
>>

> The C++ build on all platforms; not Java, python, etc.

OK, excellent.

>> I totally agree with switching from autotools to cmake.
>> I've been using cmake into another project and the experience
>> was really positive.
>>

> That's good to hear - I hope you're available to participate when we
> get into more details, probably next week or the week after.

I will try to help.

Regards.
--
Manuel.

RE: Release Schedule

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Manuel,

Re: Release Schedule

Posted by Manuel Teira Paz <mt...@tid.es>.
Steve Huston escribió:
>>> The dates for each phase would be as follows:
>>>
>>> End of Development : 2009-03-02
>>> End of Feature Freeze : 2009-03-16
>>> Release : 2009-03-27
>>>

>> This was the last set of dates Martin had put up for 0.5 release. I
>> suspect that
>> it is still worth putting a 0.5 as quite a lot of fixes have
>> been made
>> since M4.
>>
>> Are we still on for freeze on Monday?
>> Feature Freeze     March  02nd
>> RC                       March  23rd (and branch trunk)
>>

> I'd like to get the new build scheme in for M5, based on cmake - I'm
> not sure I'll have a first cut in by Monday, but it would be next week
> sometime. I think that in order for that to be in M5, though, we'll
> need some group discussion after getting a chance to test drive it a
> bit.

Are you talking about a project wide cmake build, or only for the
windows part? I totally agree with switching from autotools to cmake.

Re: Release Schedule

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:

> Given that the cmake stuff is probably more a concern for people who
> are tracking trunk rather than building released source it probably
> retains most of it's utility if it's landed on trunk post-freeze. I

ie. after the branch has been taken and the freeze is lifted on trunk.

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Release Schedule

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:

> I am not in favour of delaying the release for this. I think the move needs
> more discussion and it would be better to allow ourselves time to do that
> (also fairer to those working on the java side of the project).

Moving build systems is something that's probably better done at the
start of a development cycle than at the end of it. I've been looking
into moving the java dependency management to ivy so we can get a
meaningful maven[1] pom autogenerated, but it's not going to be ready
for Monday.

Given that the cmake stuff is probably more a concern for people who
are tracking trunk rather than building released source it probably
retains most of it's utility if it's landed on trunk post-freeze. I
might be misunderstanding though, build systems are not my favourite
topic. ;)

- Aidan

[1] because it's useful for people that want to use us
http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Release Schedule

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
Gordon Sim wrote:
> Carl Trieloff wrote:

>> It will most likely take a good 3-6 weeks to test a new make system,
>> and deal with all the compat and downstream testing. So we probably
>> have two options
>> - release 0.5 then  do the build update
>> - delay 0.5 for a month or so.
>
> I am not in favour of delaying the release for this. I think the move
> needs more discussion and it would be better to allow ourselves time to
> do that (also fairer to those working on the java side of the project).

Much as I hate to prolong the life of autotools I agree. The build system isn't
a feature as far as users of the release are concerned so it doesn't add value
to the release. The "sigh of relief" after the release will be a good time to
make the change, people will be much more tolerant of build breaks and much more
available to help iron out problems.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Release Schedule

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: Release Schedule

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

RE: Release Schedule

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Right, good points. We'll take another look at this when the trunk
thaws out again.

> Ideally we want it to have the same "API" (./bootstrap; ./configure
> --with-same-options; make),
> where bootstrap and configure are wrappers to the new system.

The cmake system generates Makefiles (and Visual Studio projects,
etc.) from which a regular 'make' is done. Think of cmake replacing
bootstrap and configure. There are similar ways to specify options and
such, and it ends up a pretty direct and simple few commands, even
though they're cmake and make instead of bootstrap, configure, and
make.

We're also keeping tabs on what other projects are doing around cmake
now that the KDE project recently switched to cmake. There's some best
practices being developed; one is at Fedora dealing with building
rpms: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/cmake

-Steve

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Release Schedule