Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Sergio Rua <Se...@learndirect.com> on 2015/02/16 11:10:40 UTC

[dev] changes to vcloud driver

Hi all,

I've started a project at my company on my spare time to automate builds in our vCloud provider. I started using libcloud for this but I finding the library to be quite limited. My biggest problem with the vCloud driver is that it seems to be wholly oriented to manage and orchestrate vApps when I would like it to do the same for VMs instead and use the vApps just a containers for the virtual machines. For example, I have a vApp with 10 virtual machines. There is no function in libcloud that would allow me to power off on of the VMs; I would have to power off the whole vApp.

I know some people ignore the vApps model completely and make it one vapp equals one vm but this just doesn't work for me.

I've initially started creating my own module extending VCloud_1_5_NodeDriver but I'm wondering if the changes I'm making could be of interest to the project. I don't have much time and my own needs will take precedence into any work I can contribute but I'm happy to do so.

Thank you
Sergio Rua

learndirect Limited
Registered in England No. 3980770
Registered Office: Dearing House, 1 Young Street, Sheffield, S1 4UP

Re: [dev] changes to vcloud driver

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:10 AM, Sergio Rua <Se...@learndirect.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've started a project at my company on my spare time to automate builds in our vCloud provider. I started using libcloud for this but I finding the library to be quite limited. My biggest problem with the vCloud driver is that it seems to be wholly oriented to manage and orchestrate vApps when I would like it to do the same for VMs instead and use the vApps just a containers for the virtual machines. For example, I have a vApp with 10 virtual machines. There is no function in libcloud that would allow me to power off on of the VMs; I would have to power off the whole vApp.
>
> I know some people ignore the vApps model completely and make it one vapp equals one vm but this just doesn't work for me.
>
> I've initially started creating my own module extending VCloud_1_5_NodeDriver but I'm wondering if the changes I'm making could be of interest to the project. I don't have much time and my own needs will take precedence into any work I can contribute but I'm happy to do so.

Hi Sergio, all contributions are welcome.
So feel free to submit a pull request via github:

https://libcloud.readthedocs.org/en/latest/development.html#contribution-workflow

Posted by Sergio Rua <Se...@learndirect.com>.
Hi Markos,

It looks very interesting. I like the idea of multiprocessing  as in general I find the api (or libcloud?) to be quite slow.

My fork is below though I only  just started retrofitting my changes into it. A few more to come:

https://github.com/sergiorua/libcloud

Posted by Markos Gogoulos <mg...@mist.io>.
Hi Sergio,