Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Jaliya Ekanayake <jn...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/20 19:29:55 UTC

Re: Using Hadoop with executables and binary data

Hi Stefan,

I am sorry, for the late reply. Somehow the response email has slipped my
eyes.

Could you explain a bit on how to use Hadoop streaming with binary data
formats.

I can see, explanations on using it with text data formats, but not for
binary files.

Thank you,

Jaliya

Stefan Podkowinski
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 01:40:05 -0700

Jaliya,

did you consider Hadoop Streaming for your case?
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopStreaming

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Jaliya
Ekanayake<je...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
> Dear Hadoop devs,
>

> Please help me to figure out a way to program the following problem using
> Hadoop.
>
> I have a program which I need to invoke in parallel using Hadoop. The
> program takes an input file(binary) and produce an output file (binary)
>

> Input.bin ->prog.exe-> output.bin
>

> The input data set is about 1TB in size. Each input data file is about
33MB
> in size. (So I have about 31000 files)
>
> The output binary file is about 9KBs in size.
>

> I have implemented this program using Hadoop in the following way.
>

> I keep the input data in a shared parallel file system (Lustre File
System).

Posted by Jaliya Ekanayake <jn...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I looked at it, but still could not figure out how to use HDFS to store
input data (binary) and call an executable.
Please note that I cannot modify the executable.

May be I am asking some dumb question, but could you please explain a bit of
how to handle the scenario I have described.

Thanks,
Jaliya

Posted by Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>.
Look into "typed bytes":