Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2008/10/17 23:26:52 UTC

Re: Sorting performance

Is the sorted query slow only the first time or every time you run it?

You got an OOM?  What -Xmx value are you using?  Try increasing it.

Otis

Posted by Norberto Meijome <nu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 06:21:06 -0700 (PDT)
Sunil Sarje <su...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am working with nightly build of Oct 17, 2008  and found the issue that
> something wrong with LuceneQParserPlugin; It takes + as OR

Sunil, please do not hijack the thread :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_hijacking

thanks,

_________________________
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

He could be a poster child for retroactive birth control.

Re: Sorting performance

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Caches are specific to opening a searcher. So whenever you open a reader,
the caches are rebuilt for that server. If you are picking up your changes,
you
MUST be opening a new reader so yes, indeed, your caches are being flushed.

You can get around this by firing a few warmup queries at the server before
using it "for real".

If you are opening a new reader for each request, well, you shouldn't do
that <G>.

Best
Erick

sint and sfloat FieldCache "type" -- was: RE: Sorting performance

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
Replying to a post on solr-user ...

: From: Lance Norskog
: Subject: RE: Sorting performance

: Since 'sint' is needed to do range queries on a field, and 'int' is needed
: for efficient sorting, we wound up have one field of each type and a
: <copyField> to make sure they both get the same numbers.  Yes, it's
: annoying.

it never relaly occured to be before, until this post, when i went to
double check the code in SortableIntField and SortableFloatField, but why
do they use SortField.STRING instead of a SortComparator that passes a
custom IntParser or FloatParser to FieldCache.getInts() and
FieldCache.getFloats()?

I actually that it was working this way until i noticed this comment ...
is the assumption that it's better to just use the StringIndex because
it's faster to build even though it takes more memory?

At the very least it seems like it could be a worthwhile option to expose
for these fieldtypes ... use less ram to sort but having warming queries
take longer.

(Wouldn't switching to the int and float FieldCaches also make ValueSource
queries faster since the parsing only would be done once?)

-Hoss

RE: Sorting performance

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Accd to previous posters on this topic, sorting requires an array with an
entry per document in the entire index. Each entry has 32 bits for the 'int'
type, and 32 bits plus the field representation length for other types. Not
knowing Lucene internals I have a hard time believing that it really has to
be this wasteful, but oh well.

Posted by christophe <ch...@lemoine-fr.com>.
I'm now considering if Solr (Lucene) is a good choice when we have a
huge number of indexed document and a large number of new documents
needs to be indexed everyday.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my feeling is that the way the sort caches are
handled (recreated after new commit, not shared between Searcher), the
solution does not scale. And it is not just a memory issue (memory is
cheap), but more the lack of update of an existing cache.

I'm testing if I can sort on a field that might be faster to cache: any
hints on this ? Would that make a difference if  I use a field with less
different values than a timestamp ? I'm looking for some details on how
the cache is populated on the first query. Also, for the code insiders
;-), would that be difficult to change this caching mechanism to allow
update and reuse of an existing cache ?

Thanks for your help
Christophe

Re: Sorting performance + replication of index between cores

Posted by Sreeram Vaidyanathan <nv...@live.com>.
Did u guys find a solution?
I am having a similar issue.

Setup:
One indexer box & 2 searcher box. Each having 6 different solr-cores
We have a lot of updates (in the range of a couple thousand items every few
mins).
The Snappuller/Snapinstaller pulls and commits every 5 mins.

Query response time peaks to 60+ seconds when a new searcher is being
prepared.
I have disabled the caches (filter, query & document).

We have a strict requirement of response time < 10 secs all the time.

Thanks
Sreeram

Posted by sunnyfr <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christophe,

Posted by christophe <ch...@lemoine-fr.com>.
Hi,

Re: Sorting performance

Posted by christophe <ch...@lemoine-fr.com>.
Hi,

I'm now reloading my index.
The issue might be related with the way dates are handled (I was sorting
on a date field).
Now, I have added an integer field that represent the date (but in
minutes instead of milli seconds).
With 4M documents (and indexing running in background), I have a correct
response time, even for the first query. I still want to check with 10M
and more documents.

Once my index is fully loaded, I will try the config parameters you suggest.

Thanks
Christophe

RE: Sorting performance

Re: Sorting performance

Re: Sorting performance

Posted by christophe <ch...@lemoine-fr.com>.

Re: Sorting performance

Posted by Norberto Meijome <nu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sorting performance

Posted by christophe <ch...@lemoine-fr.com>.

Re: Sorting performance

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sunil Sarje <su...@yahoo.com>.
I am working with nightly build of Oct 17, 2008  and found the issue that something wrong with LuceneQParserPlugin; It takes + as OR

e.g. q=first_name:joe+last_name:smith is behaving as OR instead of AND.
Default operator is set to AND in schema.xml
<solrQueryParser defaultOperator="AND"/>

Is there any new configuration I need to put in place in order to get this working ?

Thanks
-Sunil

Re: Sorting performance

Posted by christophe <ch...@lemoine-fr.com>.