Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> on 2006/10/26 20:43:44 UTC

Jetty config dependency on Clustering

Can somebody please help me understand why the Jetty Config has a hard
dependency on the Clustering config?  It seems a little odd to me that
we can't build a Jetty assembly that doesn't contain support for clustering.

With Mico-G I was originally able to install the Jetty plugin that I had
created just fine.  However, since the addition of this clustering
dependency this no longer works.  If the dependency stays then we need
to build a plugin for the clustering module.

Joe

Re: Jetty config dependency on Clustering

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 26, 2006, at 2:41 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> On Oct 26, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>>> Can somebody please help me understand why the Jetty Config has
>>> a  hard dependency on the Clustering config?  It seems a little
>>> odd to  me that we can't build a Jetty assembly that doesn't
>>> contain  support for clustering.
>> geronimo-clustering just has apis.  Without an api or an
>> implementation there isn't going to be any way to have clustering
>> support.  Better an api than an implementation.
>
> Thanks for the explanation David.  I didn't realize this only
> included the APIs.
>
> One more question.  Why is it better to create this as its own
> configuration (and for my purposes it's own plugin) rather than
> just a jar that is included with the Jetty (and Tomcat?)
> configuration as a dependency?
>
> I might be coming at this from the wrong angle, but I'm thinking
> that as we expose plugins as building blocks for assemblies (where
> many plugins are basically configs from our build) then some of
> these items might be too granular and confuse our users.  I could
> see a user thinking that they didn't need (or want) clustering and
> then wondering why it is pulled into their image anyway.

Whatever ends up as our clustering interface is hopefully going to be
used by both the web container and openejb.  As such it needs to be
in only one config, not 2 or more.  If we decide we'll never have a
connector-only server with no web or ejb support we could perhaps
include it in j2ee-server.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.