Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve Leach <st...@mi-int.com> on 2002/11/25 10:57:18 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Bandwidth Utilization / Reporting

Group,

Is there a module for Apache 1.x or 2.x (new server so I have the option to
choose!!!), that will allow me to see what the cumulative bandwidth usage is
for (a) individual Virtual Hosts and (b) the Apache Server as a whole? I
would like to be able to produce  adaily report that includes this
information in a formal bandwidth costing exercise.

If there is no feature (or module) for Apache, is there a product thatanyone
can recommend that will provide such functionality.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Steve Leach
IT / Network Manager
MI International Ltd

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Bandwidth Utilization / Reporting

Posted by Sander Holthaus - Orange XL <in...@orangexl.com>.
I you want it only on a daily basis, most webloganalyzer will do. If you
want to do it instantly, you could write yourself a small perl-deamon that
does a tail on the accesslogs.

Kind regards,
Sander Holthaus

Posted by Jean-Pierre Denis <jp...@msfree.ca>.
Hi,

Posted by Sander Holthaus - Orange XL <in...@orangexl.com>.
Personally, I think such a feature should be implemented in Apache for a
very basic protection against (D)DoS-attacks. So you can set things like
MaxBandwith (per day/hour) or MaxPeakBandwith on a per server and
per-virtual-host basis.

Imagine what could happen if you are away for a few hours and someone
decides to fill up your connection with HTTP-requests. Such attacks are
becoming more frequent, and put a severe strain on not only the websever
itself, but also servers and networkcomponents around it. Not to mention
economic damages...

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Kind Regards,
Sander Holthaus

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
Try: modules.apache.org - it lists a few. A good option is the SNMP module
which allows you to get that information on a timely basis externally.

Dw.