Posted to dev@stdcxx.apache.org by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@hates.ms> on 2012/08/31 19:56:24 UTC

Branching policy, 4.3.x, 5.0.0, etc.

The branching policy [1] in effect looks very much like the Rogue Wave release process: branch at the beginning of each release cycle, work on the release branch, merge changes back into the trunk at release time (and in between as needed). Did I get that right?

 From what I gather 4.2.x has last released 4.2.1, there is a 4.3.x with no releases, and a prospective 5.0.0 which should come out of the trunk (I saw changes mentioning 5.0.0). What are the stated goals for the 4.3.x and 5.x?

Thanks.

[1]http://wiki.apache.org/stdcxx/Branching

Re: Branching policy, 4.3.x, 5.0.0, etc.

Posted by Martin Sebor <ms...@gmail.com>.
On 08/31/2012 12:52 PM, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Liviu Nicoara <ni...@hates.ms> wrote:
>> On 08/31/12 14:15, Stefan Teleman wrote:
>>>

>>> My understanding is that 4.2.x and 4.3.x are bugfix/rfe releases while
>>> 5.x would become C++2011.
>>

>> There is an implicitly stated binary incompatibility between 4.2 and 4.3.
>> Are you privy to what prompted 4.3.x? I could look it up, I just didn't get
>> that far.
>
> Nope, don't know what prompted 4.3.x - Martin probably knows.

Most likely the first forward incompatible change. The ChangeLog
should say which. 4.3 is source and backward binary compatible
with 4.2, and 5.0 isn't necessarily either. All 4.2.x releases
are backward and forward binary compatible with one another.

The goal of 4.2.2 is to contain trivial bug fixes for 4.2.1, 4.3
is for somewhat bigger bug fixes. 5.0 meant for is C++ 11 as Stefan
says where we can break binary (and even source) compatibility.

Martin

Posted by Stefan Teleman <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Stefan Teleman
KDE e.V.

Re: Branching policy, 4.3.x, 5.0.0, etc.

Posted by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@hates.ms>.

--
And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine.

Re: Branching policy, 4.3.x, 5.0.0, etc.

Posted by Stefan Teleman <st...@gmail.com>.