Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Albert Shih <Al...@obspm.fr> on 2007/03/05 13:55:37 UTC

using svn for collab work

Hi all

There are some peoples in my staff to want use subversion for two purposes
:

	1/ versionning etc...

	2/ Collaborative work

For the 1/ of course subversion is perfect (this peoples work on MacOS X
and Windows). For the second it's perfect too....but (of course the're "but"
;-) ) sometime this group want sent into the group a big document (for
example a book in Word, or a big picture), and those document don't need
versionning.

My question is :

	Is there any solution in subversion to versionning only in 2 or 3
	version a document ? For example if I add a

		big_document  		in version N

	this document is automatically delete (in repository) in version
	N+2 (or N+3 etc...) ?

	If it's not possible, can I have a folder under subversion where
	the file is not versionning but the group can acces throught
	subversion to this document ?

at least :

	If all this is impossible what's kind of software you think I must
	use for this purpose (Opensource, multi-OS (Linux/FreeBSD, MacOS X,
	and Windows).

Regards.

NB: If you ask me why I just don't let subversion store every version, it's
because this kind of documents is big...very big > 1Go, and sometime there
are lots of them. And event with subversion compression and binary diff the
repository fast become very huge.

--
Albert SHIH
Observatoire de Paris Meudon

Re: using svn for collab work

Posted by Albert Shih <Al...@obspm.fr>.
 Le 05/03/2007 à 15:13:18+0100, Ulrich Eckhardt a écrit

Thanks for you answer

> > 	Is there any solution in subversion to versionning only in 2 or 3
> > 	version a document ?
>
> No. Subversion was designed to track changes to files, it won't discard such
> information. That said, there are a million possible solutions to your
> problem, but neither of them necessarily includes the use of Subversion.

OK. But the problem is in that group there are many kind of users, Linux(
need use a CLI client), MacOS X/Windows (need gui client) and there already
use something like CVS for software developpement.

> > 	and Windows).
>
> To distribute files, you could use a webserver (HTTP or FTP). For sharing
> folders there is FTP, Windows shares, Appletalk(?) shares, NFS, rsync...

Well some of my user is «power-user» I cant tell them to use anything, but
some other is not, and if I don't have a integrate solution for those
big_document AND the software source, he continue to use old-fashion like
FTP.

And the problem with FTP/HTTP is there are no indication what's is the last
version of those big_documents.

> Your concern about the repository getting too big might even have a solution
> in Subversion: you could create a dedicated repository only for those files
> and regularly remove old versions via a dump/dumpfilter/reload cycle. Of
> course, that means that you can't move to versions before that anymore.

OK I just look of that.

Thanks again.

Regards.

--
Albert SHIH
Observatoire de Paris Meudon
SIO batiment 15
Téléphone : 01 45 07 76 26
Heure local/Local time:
Lun 5 mar 2007 15:15:43 CET

Re: using svn for collab work

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Monday 05 March 2007 14:55, Albert Shih wrote:
> [...] sometime this group want sent into the group a big document
> (for example a book in Word, or a big picture), and those document don't
> need versionning.
>
> My question is :
>
> 	Is there any solution in subversion to versionning only in 2 or 3
> 	version a document ?

No. Subversion was designed to track changes to files, it won't discard such
information. That said, there are a million possible solutions to your
problem, but neither of them necessarily includes the use of Subversion.

> 	If all this is impossible what's kind of software you think I must
> 	use for this purpose (Opensource, multi-OS (Linux/FreeBSD, MacOS X,
> 	and Windows).

To distribute files, you could use a webserver (HTTP or FTP). For sharing
folders there is FTP, Windows shares, Appletalk(?) shares, NFS, rsync...

Your concern about the repository getting too big might even have a solution
in Subversion: you could create a dedicated repository only for those files
and regularly remove old versions via a dump/dumpfilter/reload cycle. Of
course, that means that you can't move to versions before that anymore.

Uli

Sator Laser GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Ronald Boers       Steuernummer: 02/892/02900
Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932      USt-Id.Nr.: DE183047360

           Visit our website at <http://www.satorlaser.de/>
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Sator Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.