Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Wills <ad...@yorweb.co.uk> on 2004/07/05 04:35:15 UTC

mod_jk2 ./configure problem/query

I am having problems installing mod_jk2 and although I have not isolated
what it is, one thing is worrying me. I have installed Apache 2.0.49 and
Tomcat 5.0.25 (on Redhat 9) from source and they both run fine.

When I run the command:

./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-apr-lib=/usr/lib
 --with-tomcat-41=/usr/local/tomcat --with-java-home=/usr/local/java --with-
jni

I get the following error:

./configure: line 1: apr-config: command not found

I run the Linux "find" command and apr-config is indeed in /usr/lib (and two
other places aswell) so why is it throwing that error message. I have
discussed this problem with a couple of list members who have overcome
installation issues themselves but they are using Fedora 2 or rpm
installations of Apache.

Do I actually need "--with-apr-lib=/usr/lib" ? (He asks in a novice type of
way)

Cheers

Phil

Re: mod_jk2 ./configure problem/query

Posted by Chong Yu Meng <ch...@cymulacrum.net>.
Tim Wills wrote:

>Reading your article more thoroughly, I am a bit confused on a number of
>matters.
>
>1. Why am I seemingly editing Apache's Makefile (I assume from the directory
>you have given) and not mod_jk2? Does the apxs command read that file?
>
>2. I checked Apache's make file and it has no reference to JK_LDFLAGS.
>
>3. How do you actually know which apu-config? I have found 2 under /usr path
>being:
>/usr/local/apache2/bin
>/usr/local/httpd-2.0.49/srclib/apr-util/
>I assume the top one ??

That's odd. Why would you have two different Apache directories under
/usr/local ? Can you check if you have another Apache installed ? Try
"rpm -qa | grep httpd"

Regards,
pascal chong

Re: mod_jk2 ./configure problem/query

Posted by Chong Yu Meng <ch...@cymulacrum.net>.
Tim Wills wrote:

>Sorry to say but I have gone through the whole process 3 times now
>(including re-installing Redhat itself) and I still get error 503 Service
>Temporarily Unavailable. I reckon it must be a permissions problem but
>where?
>
>I have tried the following:
>chmod 666 jk2.socket
>
>I tried changing the path to the file workers2.properties in httpd.conf.
>Doing this changes the error message to 404, page not found so the file
>workers2.properties is being read.
>
>I have done as instructed on permissions but i wonder if Apache still
>doesn't have any rights to call the Tomcat engine. I have Tomcat running
>fine as a standalone.
>
>Any further ideas?

What user did you build Apache as? What group? Also, what user and group
is Apache running under?

Regards,
pascal chong

RE: mod_jk2 ./configure problem/query

RE: mod_jk2 ./configure problem/query

Posted by Ryan McConigley <ry...@csse.uwa.edu.au>.

--
           Ryan McConigley - Systems Administrator                  _.-,
      Computer Science   University of Western Australia        .--'  '-._
        Tel: (+61 8) 6488 7082 - Fax: (+61 8) 6488 1089       _/`-  _      '.
Ryan[@]csse.uwa.edu.au - http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~ryan  '----'._`.----. \
                                                                      `     \;

Posted by Tim Wills <ad...@yorweb.co.uk>.

At 03:35 AM 5/07/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>I am having problems installing mod_jk2 and although I have not isolated
>what it is, one thing is worrying me. I have installed Apache 2.0.49 and
>Tomcat 5.0.25 (on Redhat 9) from source and they both run fine.
>
>When I run the command:
>
>./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-apr-lib=/usr/li
>  --with-tomcat-41=/usr/local/tomcat --with-java-home=/usr/local/java --wit
h-
>jni
>
>I get the following error:
>
>./configure: line 1: apr-config: command not found
>
>I run the Linux "find" command and apr-config is indeed in /usr/lib (and
two
>other places aswell) so why is it throwing that error message. I have
>discussed this problem with a couple of list members who have overcome
>installation issues themselves but they are using Fedora 2 or rpm
>installations of Apache.
>
>Do I actually need "--with-apr-lib=/usr/lib" ? (He asks in a novice type of
>way)

         Woohoo.  A question I can answer.  I had this problem about two
weeks ago.  Here is the weblink (thanks to chongym@cymulacrum.net) I used
to solve my problem --> http://cymulacrum.net/writings/tomcat5/a1375.html
(needed to be modified slightly)  And my own walk-through notes are here
--> http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~ryan/tech/mod_jk2.html

         Essentially you need to add in one/some additional libraries into
one of the make files.  Just make sure you get the right library paths, but
see the web pages for the details as I'm guessing its a system dependant
thing.

I have read you

Re: mod_jk2 ./configure problem/query

Posted by Ryan McConigley <ry...@csse.uwa.edu.au>.